The courses are designed to give you hands-on experience right from the first-year Introduction to Engineering course all the way through to the final research project.
The BS in physics emphasizes the traditional theoretical, experimental and mathematical basis of physics and provides a solid foundation for graduate work in physics or related fields, such as engineering, astrophysics, biophysics, physical oceanography, geophysics and meteorology. Students may also use the physics major as preparation for attending professional school in fields such as medicine, dentistry and law.
The BA in physics is for students planning to enter a profession needing a technical or scientific background and is particularly appropriate for students interested in a double major with another field or those completing a major in inclusive childhood or secondary education. It is also ideal for those wishing to study medicine, practice law as it relates to science or technology, or earn an MBA and enter a technical business field.
Why Major in Physics at Houghton College?
- Learn physics by doing physics in our research-based, hands-on program.
- Gain critical experience with high-tech equipment used regularly by practicing physicists (e.g., a cyclotron [particle accelerator], Farnsworth Fusor [nuclear fusion chamber], scanning electron microscope [6 nanometer resolution], x-ray diffractometer, wind tunnel, and/or one of the nation’s fastest supercomputers [for simulations in aeronautical engineering]).
- Spend the summer doing real, cutting-edge research—and get paid for it.
- Develop practical new skills that are useful in physics research, such as operating machine tools, welding, soldering, electronics, or using new computer languages/operating systems.
- Work collaboratively with your professors on research projects aimed at solving real-world problems, then publish and present your research at national conferences.
- Join the 100 percent of Houghton physics graduates who are employed or attending graduate school within one year of graduation.
- Develop close mentoring relationships with Christian faculty members who care about your academic, emotional and spiritual growth.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Differential Equations
- General Physics
- Multivariate Calculus
- 48 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesPhysics General Engineering & Technology View 1253 other Masters in Physics in United States
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- A completed application for admission (apply online or print the application)
- An official high school transcript (If you are a international transfer student, you are also required to submit all college transcripts)
- A completed recommendation letter
- A completed financial affidavit
- A $40.00 non-refundable application fee (ask your counselor about getting this fee waived!)
- Test Scores
International33920 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 33920 USD per year and a duration of 48 months.
National33920 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 33920 USD per year and a duration of 48 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 3 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.