In the Music Composition major at Houghton College, students will develop their own compositional skills and artistic voice as they explore a wide variety of musical styles and processes in the traditional Western canon and study compositional techniques that may be less familiar to them, such as 20th-century art music, jazz and commercial styles.
The Bachelor of Music in composition gives students a foundation for professional and/or commercial compositional activity or graduate degree study leading to college/conservatory teaching credentials in composition and theory. Possible careers include film-scoring, orchestrating and arranging, publishing, music administration, copyist work, worship leadership, and performance.
Why Major in Music Composition at Houghton College?
- Study with faculty who excel in their fields, care about their students and teach with integrity.
- Make lifelong friends and travel internationally with one of our acclaimed ensembles—orchestra, band, choir, jazz and chamber.
- Explore the stage through opera and musical theatre.
- Realize your potential as a recording artist and earn Pro Tools certification in our top-notch recording studios.
- Practice and perform in our state-of-the-art facilities and then share your gifts with the community, the church and the world.
- Qualify for up to $50,000 in available scholarships.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Music in Christian Perspective
- Music History & Literature
- Music Theory
- Vocal Pedagogy
- 48 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesMusic Music History Liberal Arts View 945 other Masters in Liberal Arts in United States
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- A completed application for admission (apply online or print the application)
- An official high school transcript (If you are a international transfer student, you are also required to submit all college transcripts)
- A completed recommendation letter
- A completed financial affidavit
- A $40.00 non-refundable application fee (ask your counselor about getting this fee waived!)
- Test Scores
International33920 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 33920 USD per year and a duration of 48 months.
National33920 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 33920 USD per year and a duration of 48 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last year
Check the official programme website for potential updates.