We believe that effective teachers must be well-equipped to serve children with diverse needs in a variety of educational settings. That’s why inclusive childhood education majors are exposed to theories, philosophies, strategies and methods designed to meet the wide range of learner needs in a variety of inclusive, elementary-level contexts. Upon completion of the program, you will be recommended for teacher certification in both childhood education (grades 1-6) and special education (grades 1-6).
Each component of this program is designed for your ongoing development for leadership and service, and, beginning with your first year in our program, you’ll be immersed in diverse field- and coursework that requires the intentional critical thinking and action needed for today’s classrooms. Diverse experiences within rural schools of Western New York and urban schools of Buffalo paired with coursework expectations provide a carefully scaffolded and challenging environment for you to develop as an emerging educator.
Why Major in Inclusive Childhood Education at Houghton College?
- Be equipped for transformative learning and service.
- Collect 150 hours of contact time in general and/or inclusive classroom settings PRIOR to student teaching.
- Practice what you’ve learned in the college classroom through abundant opportunities to be in area classrooms observing, doing service-learning, and so on in the first and second years.
- Experience teaching in an inner-city setting during a two-week site experience in Buffalo, NY, called Teaching in Urban America.
- Receive intentional, personalized academic advising and mentoring by education faculty across your entire Houghton experience
- Dedicate one full semester to student teaching during your senior year.
- Do collaborative research with teacher education program faculty members, and present your findings at international, national and regional conferences.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Mathematical Concepts and Reasoning
- Topics in Professionalism
- Education & American Culture
- Educational Psychology
- Children’s Literature
- Educating Exceptional Learners
- 48 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesEducation Early Childhood Education View 3332 other Masters in Education in United States
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- A completed application for admission (apply online or print the application)
- An official high school transcript (If you are a international transfer student, you are also required to submit all college transcripts)
- A completed recommendation letter
- A completed financial affidavit
- A $40.00 non-refundable application fee (ask your counselor about getting this fee waived!)
- Test Scores
International33920 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 33920 USD per year and a duration of 48 months.
National33920 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 33920 USD per year and a duration of 48 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last year
Check the official programme website for potential updates.