The major and minor in Computing and Information Studies at Washington and Jefferson College have been designed to give students a strong background in a breadth of approaches to computing. Students with an interest in a particular subfield within computing are encouraged to consider an emphasis to the CIS major. The Big Data emphasis is an analog to the Computational Science concentration for CIS majors and focuses on the use of computer modeling, visualization and analysis over large data sets to solve complex problem solving tasks.
The Computer Science emphasis is designed for students intending to pursue graduate work focused on the foundational and theoretical underpinnings of the computing sciences. The Digital Media emphasis stresses visual literacy and creative problem solving and focuses on how people communicate meaning through innovative contexts capitalizing on various digital media. The Interaction Design emphasis highlights the issues involved in designing computing systems in a human-centric manner and focuses on the theories and techniques involved in developing effective interfaces for information systems. The Web and Mobile Technologies emphasis is designed for students with an intended career path in web and mobile application development and focuses on both design issues and production and implementation issues central to delivering content through these media.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- The CIS curriculum combines aspects of history, sociology, psychology, communication, art, design, science, and mathematics. The program stresses problem solving and effective communication skills while addressing issues in computational thinking, visual culture, interaction design, information management and analysis, systems development, and security.
- Students select from a range of electives while continuing a course of study that provides a solid grounding in effective coding and production, as well as user-focused design and interaction, and formal modeling and analysis.
- 48 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesInformatics & Information Sciences View 666 other Bachelors in Informatics & Information Sciences in United States
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
We are not aware of any English requirements for this programme.
- Common Application: If you apply online we will waive your application fee of $25.
- School Documents
- Counselor Recommendation
- Teacher Recommendation
- Mid-Year Report: This form should only be completed if you are still enrolled in secondary school and if your school will have additional grades to report in March.
- Final School Report
- TOEFL or IELTS Scores: Students who speak English as a second language (non-native speakers) are required to submit an official score report for the TOEFL or IELTS by the admission deadline.
- SAT or ACT Scores: Submission of these tests is optional.
- Certification of Finances: Please have your parents complete this Certification of Finances (PDF) and/or submit supporting documentation.
International48758 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 48758 USD per year during 48 months.
National48758 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 48758 USD per year during 48 months.
Living costs for Washington
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Due for update
Updated over a year ago
Check the official programme website for potential updates.