Preparing you with hands-on, clinical training to help others
Diagnostic medical sonography (DMS) is a multi-specialty profession which utilizes high frequency sound waves to image the human body. Sonographers use their knowledge of anatomy, physiology and applied critical thinking to assess function and the presence of disease processes. Sonographers work under the guidance of an interpreting physician in a variety of health care settings. The Diagnostic Medical Sonography program of Concordia University Wisconsin includes two years of core requirements and prerequisite classes specific to the major. Qualified candidates must then apply to the DMS program. Two learning tracks/concentrations are available to CUW students: 1) General/Vascular and 2) Cardiac/Vascular. Students that choose to apply to the General/Vascular concentration are first considered by the CUW DMS program. Applicants not selected by the CUW DMS program are then forwarded to our partner program, Advocate Aurora Health (Aurora St Luke’s Medical Center). Students that choose the Cardiac Vascular concentration will apply through our partner program, Advocate Aurora Health (Aurora St Luke’s Medical Center).
Why Choose Sonography?
- Interested in human anatomy and physiology, pathophysiology, technology, and patient care
- Being a key member of a health care team
- Providing one on one care to a variety of people
- Using high tech instrumentation to create images of the human body to assist in medical diagnosis
- Commitment to lifelong learning in a rapidly growing health care profession
- Projected job growth for sonographers is 17% (much faster than average) between 2016-2026 according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics
- Designed 4 year completion in a growing market with a competitive salary. 2017 median wage level for a diagnostic medical sonographer according to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics is reported to be $71,410 with a range between $50,000 and $99,840.
CUW Diagnostic Medical Sonography Program
The didactic portion of the program is conducted within CUW at the Miller Park Way location and the clinical coursework is conducted at our clinical affiliates in southeastern Wisconsin. The program offers education and learning concentrations in General/Vascular Sonography.
As a student, you will receive a strong liberal arts education in a Christian setting. You will obtain the necessary preparation for your career through clinical experience in a medical setting. Students who graduate with a bachelor's degree in diagnostic medical sonography have an opportunity to specialize in the following areas of sonography: obstetric and gynecologic, abdominal sonography, breast sonography, and vascular technology.
At Concordia, you will experience:
- Small class sizes enrich learning and professional growth
- Integrated didactic, hands-on and clinical training to enhance learning
- On-campus ultrasound lab dedicated to training sonography students
- Diverse clinical rotations encompassing all specialties
- 100% program completion rate
- 100% of our graduates successfully obtain credentialing within one year
- 100% positive job placement rate within 6 months of graduation
What to expect
Through our DMS program you will learn how to:
- Analyze technical information
- Identify sonographic anatomy and pathology
- Operate high tech ultrasound systems
- Provide quality patient care
- Collaborate with other health care service providers
- Nuclear Medicine Tech
- Ophthalmic Tech
- Radiologic Tech
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- General Biology
- General Physics
- Human Anatomy & Physiology
- Medical Terminology
- Medical Law & Ethics
- 48 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , International
- Apply before , International
Plan to apply 3-4 months prior to your intended start date.
DisciplinesHealth Sciences View 1633 other Masters in Health Sciences in United States
- Completion of the pre-clinical required courses with a minimum of a 3.0 cumulative GPA
- Completion of coursework in a Certified Nursing Assistant (CNA) program with 100 documented hours of patient care work
- Submission of a personal essay on why the applicant chose a career in sonography
- Professional and/or academic references
- A minimum of 8 hours of job shadowing, 4 in general ultrasound and 4 hours in echocardiography
- Completion and submission of the application form
- Please note: The time commitment for the CUW DMS program is 40 hours per week for didactic coursework and clinical hours. This does not include time for travel or study. Due to the demanding schedule, it is recommended that DMS students restrict or eliminate employment during their schooling to promote success in the program.
International30060 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 30060 USD per year during 48 months.
National30060 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 30060 USD per year during 48 months.
Living costs for Mequon
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Due for update
Updated over a year ago
Check the official programme website for potential updates.