Diagnostic medical sonography (DMS) is a multi-specialty profession which utilizes high frequency sound waves to image the human body. Sonographers use their knowledge of anatomy, physiology and applied critical thinking to assess function and the presence of disease processes.
Sonographers work under the guidance of an interpreting physician in a variety of health care settings. Concordia University Wisconsin offers a Bachelor’s Degree in Diagnostic Medical Sonography.
What you'll study
The degree includes two years of core requirements and prerequisite classes specific to the major. Qualified candidates must then apply to the DMS program. Two learning tracks/concentrations are available to CUW students: 1) General/Vascular and 2) Cardiac/Vascular. Students that choose to apply to the General/Vascular concentration are first considered by the CUW DMS program.
Applicants not selected by the CUW DMS program are then forwarded to our partner program, Advocate Aurora Health (Aurora St Luke’s Medical Center). Students that choose the Cardiac Vascular concentration will apply through our partner program, Advocate Aurora Health (Aurora St Luke’s Medical Center).
Through the DMS program you will learn how to:
- Analyze technical information
- Identify sonographic anatomy and pathology
- Operate high tech ultrasound systems
- Provide quality patient care
- Collaborate with other health care service providers
- General Sonographer
- Maternal fetal tech
- Vascular sonographer
- General Biology
- General Physics
- Human Anatomy & Physiology
- Medical Terminology
- Medical Law & Ethics
- 48 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , International
- Apply before , International
Plan to apply 3-4 months prior to your intended start date.
DisciplinesMedical Imaging View 64 other Bachelors in Medical Imaging in United States
- Completion of the pre-clinical required courses with a minimum of a 3.0 cumulative GPA
- Completion of coursework in a Certified Nursing Assistant (CNA) program with 100 documented hours of patient care work
- Submission of a personal essay on why the applicant chose a career in sonography
- Professional and/or academic references
- A minimum of 8 hours of job shadowing, 4 in general ultrasound and 4 hours in echocardiography
- Completion and submission of the application form
- Please note: The time commitment for the CUW DMS program is 40 hours per week for didactic coursework and clinical hours. This does not include time for travel or study. Due to the demanding schedule, it is recommended that DMS students restrict or eliminate employment during their schooling to promote success in the program.
International31660 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 31660 USD per year during 48 months.
National31660 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 31660 USD per year during 48 months.
Living costs for Mequon
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.