Students majoring in Sociology - Gerontology at Illinois Dominican University are exposed to a comprehensive program of study in one of three concentrations and are prepared for professional employment in a number of occupations in the public or private sector, or for graduate study in sociology, related social sciences, social work, education, or law. There are three concentrations available in this major: social analysis, social services and gerontology.
Sociology and criminology graduates are often employed in the helping professions. The recent trend is for many sociology-related occupations to require a graduate degree, including social work, therapy, counseling and case management.
Students who want to work in the social services field without a graduate degree often land in support positions or quasi-professional roles. One example would be a role like domestic violence counselor, which may require an undergraduate sociology or criminology degree plus completion of an in-house training course.
A sociology degree also serves as excellent preparation for students who want to pursue an advanced degree in business, law, public administration or urban planning.
A double major is offered for students interested in earning a Bachelor of Arts degree with a major in sociology and a major in criminology. The department also offers minors and encourages its students to complete minors in related fields like social justice and civic engagement. Internships and service learning are vital educational tools in sociology and criminology.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
Programme StructureCourses included:
- Long-Term Care Administration and Social Policy
- Introduction to Gerontology
- Introduction to Social Work and Social Welfare
- Sociology of the Family
- Sociology of Gender
- Self and Society
- Contemporary Social Problems
- Discrimination and Society
- 48 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , International
- Apply before , International
DisciplinesSociology View 1355 other Masters in Sociology in United States
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Complete either the Dominican University online application for freshman, transfer or graduate, depending on your status. Freshmen can also apply using the Common Application, which streamlines the college application process for students applying to multiple institutions.
- Pay a nonrefundable $100.00 application fee.
- Enrolling students requesting documentation for an F-1 visa must submit a Financial Statement Form (pdf) to the Office of Admission. This is essential for receiving an I-20 and should be submitted along with all other admission documents.
International33900 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 33900 USD per year and a duration of 48 months.
National33900 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 33900 USD per year and a duration of 48 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Due for update
Updated over a year ago
Check the official programme website for potential updates.