Spanish majors at Illinois Dominican University must complete 32 semester hours in the language beyond the SPAN-100 level. Required courses focus on:
- Advanced language skills
- Civilization and culture of Spain and the Spanish-speaking Americas
- Literature of Spain and Spanish America, including U.S. Latinos
SPAN 304 Business Spanish is the advanced study of written and oral Spanish as it applies to business and other professional careers. SPAN 209 Spanish for the Health Professions is an intermediate-level course that focuses on grammar and specialized vocabulary as well as on relevant cultural practices and perspectives, all of which are necessary tools for effective communication with Spanish-speaking clients or patients.
After completing the core courses in the major or minor, Spanish students may choose from a variety of electives. Some of the advanced-level topics courses have included Human Rights in Latin America, Mexican Feminisms, Revolutionary Figures and U.S. Latinx Literature and Film.
All Spanish majors are encouraged to study abroad during their time at Dominican. Students who study at one of Dominican’s programs overseas and wish to have these courses count towards the Spanish major must get prior written approval from the Spanish discipline director.
There are a number of internship opportunities available to Spanish students. Some of our current internship partners include the Goedert Center, GLOW Preschool, Christopher House and the Washington Internship Institute.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
Programme StructureCourses included:
- Intermediate Spanish
- Spanish Language and Culture for Heritage Speakers
- Introduction to Spain
- Introduction to Spanish America
- Advanced Grammar and Composition
- Introduction to Hispanic Literature
- 48 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , International
- Apply before , International
DisciplinesLanguage Studies Languages Linguistics View 1951 other Masters in Languages in United States
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Complete either the Dominican University online application for freshman, transfer or graduate, depending on your status. Freshmen can also apply using the Common Application, which streamlines the college application process for students applying to multiple institutions.
- Pay a nonrefundable $100.00 application fee.
- Enrolling students requesting documentation for an F-1 visa must submit a Financial Statement Form (pdf) to the Office of Admission. This is essential for receiving an I-20 and should be submitted along with all other admission documents.
International33900 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 33900 USD per year and a duration of 48 months.
National33900 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 33900 USD per year and a duration of 48 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Due for update
Updated over a year ago
Check the official programme website for potential updates.