A student will be immersed in a practical environment as a sophomore/junior through service as a personal trainer and group exercise instructor in the Otterbein OtterFit Faculty and Staff Health and Fitness Program. The senior year culminates in an internship in a corporate, community, university, commercial, or clinical setting of a minimum of 344 field hours.
Why Exercise Science and Health Promotion major from Otterbein University
Students choose this major if they desire to work in public or community health, as a strength and conditioning coach at the high school or collegiate level, as an exercise specialist in a clinical setting, as a group fitness leader/personal trainer in a corporate or commercial fitness center, or in development of health programs in a wide variety of settings. The faculty academic advisor will work with you to determine the direction in this field that might be best.
Earn the Degree
The coursework prepares one to take fitness assessments, prescribe exercise programs commensurate with the client’s needs and goals, and educate people about basic nutritional concepts. The major will be able to lead individuals with chronic disease in programs to improve their health and fitness. Students will be exposed to the organization and management of a worksite wellness program through presentation of health fairs, lunch and learn presentations, and health coaching. The anatomy and physiology of the human body will be followed by exposure to kinesiology and exercise physiology. This knowledge will permit the student greater understanding of strength and conditioning.
There are required classes to prepare a student for certification as a personal trainer, strength and conditioning coach, and group fitness instructor. At a minimum, students graduate with the American College of Sports Medicine Personal Trainer certification (ACSM cPT) and the American College of Sports Medicine Group Exercise Instructor (ACSM GEI). Students are encouraged and supported in adding other professional credentials before graduating including the National Strength and Conditioning Association’s Certified Strength and Conditioning Specialist (NSCA CSCS) or Tactical Strength and Conditioning Facilitator (TSAC-F), or USAW Sport Performance Coach Certification.
The Exercise Science and Health Promotion major is recognized by the National Strength and Conditioning Association (NSCA) as an Education Recognition Program in Strength and Conditioning. Only four other institutions in Ohio are so recognized.
The goals for every major in Exercise Science and Health Promotion is to:
- Have the content knowledge to work in the field.
- Have at least an ACSM personal trainer certification and a certification as a group exercise instructor.
- Have over 500 hours of practical experience in one-on-one and group settings in working with individuals on their physical goals/needs.
Career opportunities are numerous and include fitness/wellness programs, cardiac rehabilitation, YMCA/YWCA’s/private health and commercial fitness clubs, government or private agencies, college and university athletic teams, recreational facilities and community recreation centers, health departments, and strength and conditioning programs, and church youth programming.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Anatomy and Physiology
- Individual and Community Health
- Fundamentals of Nutrition
- Professional Perspectives in Exercise Science and Health Promotion
- Exercise Testing and Prescription
- Practicum in Exercise Science and Health Promotion
- Exercise for Selected Populations
- 48 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , International
- Apply before , International
DisciplinesSports Management Health Sciences Sports Sciences View 1756 other Bachelors in Health Sciences in United States
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Common Application, including essay.
- $50 Application fee.
- Official transcripts/documents for four years of high school/secondary school (grades 9-12).
- Official Bank Statement(s) and Sponsor Guarantee form.
- Copy of passport and current visa (if applicable).
- All test scores must be reported directly from the testing center.
- Foreign language documents must be translated into English by the issuing institution, a certified translator or English teacher.
- SAT and ACT test scores and letters of recommendation are optional and may be submitted if they strengthen your application.
International32624 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 32624 USD per year during 48 months.
National32624 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 32624 USD per year during 48 months.
Living costs for Westerville
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Due for update
Updated over a year ago
Check the official programme website for potential updates.