The Writing program at the Houston Baptist University states that students take intensive writing workshops in poetry, fiction, nonfiction, and playwriting with well-published writers in these fields. In addition, classes are offered in professional and technical writing that emphasize practical writing experience and on-the-job training.
Through a common major core curriculum with Cinematic Arts and Mass Media Arts, writing students learn to apply their skills through a variety of media on the cutting edge of today’s technology. This program also connects students with the rich opportunities the writing community of Houston offers, such as publication experiences, professional writing internships, writing conferences, and readings from world-famous writers. A major and minor are offered.
All classes are taught by well-published writers, and mimic the experience of writing in the professional world. Some of these opportunities are:
- Participation in HBU’s annual Writing Conference
- Publication in The Collegian, the University’s campus newspaper
- Submitting to the Danny Lee Lawrence Award in Writing
- Working with visiting writers such as Dana Goia, Scott Cairns and Bret Lott
- Mentored application process to Master of Fine Arts programs
- Mentored application process for careers in a variety of industries
- Interning at a variety of companies and nonprofits such as Writers in the Schools, the Gulf Coast Federation of Writers, the Sam Malone Show, and various energy companies
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
Programme StructureCourses include:
- Art of Storytelling
- Creative Writing: Poetry
- Creative Writing: Fiction
- The Critical Essay and Review Writing
- Writing Internship
- 48 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , National
- Apply before , International
- Apply before , International
DisciplinesCreative Writing Literature View 1271 other Bachelors in Literature in United States
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Show proof of sufficient English skills
- TOEFL, IELTS, SAT and/or ACT scores, OR
- Completion of two (2) classes of collegiate English taken in the United States
- Certificate of completion from Language Consultants International (ESL program)
- A bachelor’s degree or equivalent at an accredited institution of higher education whose instruction is conducted in English.
International32350 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 32350 USD per year during 48 months.
National32350 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 32350 USD per year during 48 months.
Living costs for Houston
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last year
Check the official programme website for potential updates.