History enables us to understand how we got where we are and helps us make informed decisions in the present. History majors will interpret both why and how major events in the world’s past occurred by understanding the ways economic, political, social, environmental and cultural forces motivated people to act.
Students often ask, “So what can I do with a history major?” This is an important, practical question. Unlike professional degrees, such as nursing, pharmacy, or accounting, there is no single career track that all history majors take after graduating. Instead, a history major’s skillset can be directed at a variety of professions, so your career options can be more flexible.
Majors of the History program of the Bemidji State University have entered careers in high school or collegiate teaching, law, government, business, religious ministry, library science, book editing, and museum work. Historians make good legislators, journalists, business leaders, and authors. A history major pairs well with Social Studies Education, Business, Pre-Law, English, Philosophy, Political Science, and other degree programs.
History majors obtain these high-demand skills from the BSU History Program:
- Writing and Oral Communication Skills: We prepare students to make effective written and oral arguments based on solid analysis and evidence.
- Analytical Skills: Historians evaluate both primary sources produced by people in the past and secondary sources written by other historians, understanding how assumptions, biases, and interpretations change over time. Our history classes ask students to pinpoint problems and their solutions. History majors consider why events occurred and what their significance is.
- Research Skills: Our history program helps majors grow comfortable finding, organizing, and using a variety of formats (online databases, books, journals, archival materials, etc.) to uncover source material. By the time you graduate, you will be able to trace an issue’s root, find new information related to that issue, and incorporate that information into your own analyses.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- United States History to 1877
- United States History since 1877
- World History Prehistory-1500
- World History 1500-Present
- Medieval Europe
- 48 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , National
All international applications are processed on a rolling basis.
DisciplinesHistory Ancient History Modern History View 345 other Masters in Ancient History in United States
- Application fee of $20.00
- Application (online or paper) International Student Application
- Official transcript
- Proof of English proficiency
- Statement of Purpose
- International Agreement Form
- Authorization to Release Student Information Form (if applicable to you)
- Financial documents
- A copy of passport ID Name Page
- Transfer verification form & a copy of your I-20 or DS 2019 if you are currently in the F or J status in the U.S.
International18416 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 9208 USD per semester during 48 months.
National7976 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 3988 USD per semester during 48 months.
Living costs for Bemidji
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 9 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.