The program is designed to combine business, humanities courses and basic engineering concepts to provide the skills and knowledge needed to work on a vessel and in the maritime industry.
The Marine Operations program at the SUNY Maritime College is designed to give students real-world insight and expertise into the business of shipping. Marine Operations courses include economics, physics, transportation systems, and other business courses.
Upon successful completion of a Bachelor of Science program in Marine Operations – Deck License Program, graduates will be able to:
- Pass the US Coast Guard Third Mate, Unlimited License on the STCW Operational Level.
- Demonstrate the ability to assume all of the duties of a Third Mate in international or domestic service, including the ability to stand a watch on a commercial vessel.
- Demonstrate a thorough understanding of shipboard operations along with the impact they have on the global economy and environment.
- Demonstrate an understanding of basic related industry practices.
- Demonstrate leadership and organizational skills necessary to assume positions of responsibility in their careers after graduation.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- If students are interested in powering a vessel and operating and maintaining its related systems, they should pursue a U.S. Coast Guard third assistant engineer, or engine, license.
- Students interested in navigation, cargo handling and other ship systems may pursue a U.S. Coast Guard third mate, or deck license.
- Whichever license students choose to pursue, they will gain basic knowledge and skills by taking classes in the other license program. This will allow students to understand both sides of a ship's operations and be better prepared to succeed in their career after graduation.
- 48 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesMarine Engineering View 62 other Masters in Marine Engineering in United States
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Submit the application. Apply online using the SUNY Application or Common Application.
- All academic credentials must have an official seal, stamp or signature of a school or government official, and be submitted in the original language (if not in English, it must be accompanied by an exactly worded and certified translation). Upon receipt of your documents we may require further evaluation. All foreign academic transcripts must be evaluated by WES or a NACES approved evaluation service, and translated into English.
- Two letters of recommendation.
- 250 word essay or personal statement.
- Submit your English Proficiency test scores via an official score report for the TOEFL or SAT or ACT or IELTS. Please note that TOEFL and IELTS scores are not valid past two years.
International17527 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 17527 USD per year and a duration of 48 months.
National18650 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 18650 USD per year and a duration of 48 months.
In-State13695 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 13695 USD per year and a duration of 48 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Due for update
Updated over a year ago
Check the official programme website for potential updates.