On looking through this lens, students diversify their perceptions of the world and multiply their opportunities for interacting with it.
These opportunities may include experiencing the tragic ferocity of the Spanish Civil War in the pages of Sender’s Réquiem por un campesino español, serving as an interpreter for a Latino family in Northfield, teaching art to the children of imprisoned women in Quito, Ecuador, speaking to indigenous people on the shores of Guatemala’s beautiful Lake Atitlán about their struggle to preserve the land, probing the complexity of Latin American life within the mythic dimensions of García Márquez’s Macondo, debating politics with impassioned university students in Seville, Spain, or talking into the night with a roommate from Costa Rica in the Spanish House.
Whatever the channels opened — and they are countless — students who become proficient in Spanish discover that “Quien sabe dos lenguas, vale por dos.”
Overview of the Majors
In courses for the Spanish major at Saint Olaf College, students gain understanding of the diversity of the Spanish-speaking world (Spain, Latin America, and the Hispanic U.S.) through the study of literature, non-literary texts, culture, language, and linguistics. At the same time, they develop communication, critical thinking, and analytical skills.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Family and Gender Roles in Spain: 1900 to Present
- Exploring Hispanic Literature
- Spanish as a First and Second Language
- Literature and Society in Spain
- Literature and Society in Latin America
- 48 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesLanguage Studies Languages Linguistics View 2966 other Bachelors in Language Studies in United States
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- An official transcript from an accredited high school or equivalent. This transcript must include grades through the junior year in high school.
- One (two are encouraged) letter of recommendation from a teacher, preferably from a class taught in grades 10-12 in an academic subject: English, foreign language, history, social studies, mathematics, or the natural sciences.
- An additional letter of recommendation, which may come from another individual who knows the applicant well.
- High School Transcript
- College Entrance Tests
International51450 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 51450 USD per year during 48 months.
National51450 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 51450 USD per year during 48 months.
Living costs for Northfield
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last year
Check the official programme website for potential updates.