Upon successful completion of this Sociology program at Suny Cortland, students will be able to:
- Understand and apply the basic sociological concepts. These include the sociological imagination, social structure, institutions, social stratification, culture, and power.
- Understand the role of social structure, culture, and social processes in the causation and amelioration of social problems.
- Develop a thorough knowledge of the major sociological theories and theorists. Important theoretical perspectives include functionalism, the conflict perspective, and symbolic interactionism. Important social theorists include C. Wright Mills, Karl Marx, Emile Durkheim, Max Weber, and George Herbert Mead.
- Collect information necessary to address a research topic or hypothesis through library research, analysis of electronic data sources, and both quantitative and qualitative analytical techniques.
- Conduct basic quantitative data analysis employing computers.
- Communicate their ideas and the ideas of others clearly and effectively, both verbally and in writing.
- Social work
- Health care
- Government agencies
- Human services
- Public service
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Sociology of Law
- Crime and Criminal Law
- Sociology of Work
- Sociology of Sex and Gender
- Issues in Gerontology
- Social Stratification
- Urban Sociology
- 48 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , International
- Apply before , National
- Apply before , International
Applications are reviewed on a rolling admissions basis, so decisions may occur prior to the deadlines.
DisciplinesSocial Work Sociology Public Law View 190 other Masters in Public Law in United States
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
All admissions applications are individually reviewed. Decisions are based on criteria such as academic performance in the classroom, class rank, extracurricular activities, personal statements and recommendations. Application materials include the following:
- The Common Application or the SUNY Application
- Official transcript or results from the General Equivalency Diploma (GED). If you have prior military service, Discharge papers.
- SUNY Supplemental Form (if you submitted the SUNY Application)
- Personal statement or essay (at least 250 words)
- At lease one recommendation from a teacher or college counselor using the Teacher/Counselor Evaluation Form.
International16980 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 16980 USD per year and a duration of 48 months.
National16980 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 16980 USD per year and a duration of 48 months.
In-State7070 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 7070 USD per year and a duration of 48 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 9 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.