You are exposed to both continental and analytical traditions in philosophy, and you engage in a sustained way with the history of philosophy. In some courses, you spend a whole semester studying the work of a significant philosopher. Your professors are active scholars who have written and edited books on topics that include the philosophy of Hans Jonas, the philosophy of mind, German romanticism, the Philosophy of paleontology, and God. The program is offered by Connecticut College.
Outstanding students devote a year to an honors project. Recent topics ranged from the concept of nostalgia to the ethical and legal underpinnings of the International Criminal Court. Students have presented conference papers at places like SUNY Oneonta and Pacific University in Oregon. Funding is available for students to work with faculty on research. It's unusual in our discipline, but professors have published with students and traveled with them to present co-authored papers at professional meetings.
Our guest lecture series, "Pizza and Profundity," brings both up-and-coming and established philosophers to our campus. Recent speakers have included Tamar Gendler, Elizabeth Harman and Sally Haslanger. After each lecture, students join the philosophy faculty in taking the speaker to a local restaurant, where the conversation continues.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
Programme StructureCourses include:
- American Philosophy
- The Philosophy Of Perception
- History Of Modern Philosophy
- Existential philosophy
- 48 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesPhilosophy & Ethics View 881 other Masters in Philosophy & Ethics in United States
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Common Application
- School report: includes (1) college counselor recommendation, (2) official secondary school transcript with first term (quarter or trimester) grades for the current academic year and (3) mid-year report with updated grades as soon as they are available
- Two academic teacher recommendations (preferably from junior or senior year)
- Common Application Early Decision Agreement Form for EDI & EDII applicants (signed by ED applicant, college counselor and parent or legal guardian) submitted via your Common Application account
- If English is not your native language: the TOEFL, IELTS, or PTE is required.
- All non-US citizens must submit a Certification of Finances for International Students (pdf)
International75315 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 75315 USD per year and a duration of 48 months.
National75315 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 75315 USD per year and a duration of 48 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 9 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.