Geology is the study of the materials, structures, processes, and history of the Earth. It advances our understanding of the formation of rocks and minerals and how they can be used to reconstruct the history of the Earth's biological, climatic, and tectonic evolution across the enormity of geologic time. If you have an interest in rocks, fossils, mountains, rivers, the environment, and working outside, the Geology department may be the right fit for your SSU degree.
Our department is committed to undergraduate training that includes a well-balanced treatment of geologic principles and an emphasis on field studies. Students take a fundamental curriculum that concentrates on the analysis of rocks and minerals, earth surface processes, earth history and evolution, geophysical and GIS analysis, structural deformation, and geologic mapping.
As a student in the Geology program at Sonoma State University you will be an important part of a tight knit department that prides itself on small class sizes with personalized instruction.
The curriculum emphasizes field-based observation and inquiry. Core courses include Advanced Principles of Geology, Mineralogy, Igneous and Metamorphic Petrology, Sedimentary Geology, Structural Geology, Paleontology, and Hydrology. Information on specific courses is available in the University Catalog or through the Department Administrative Coordinator.
Students may choose from major programs that lead to either the BA or BS professional degrees. Teaching Credential preparation and Minors in Geology and Paleontology are also available.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Advanced Principles of Geology
- Geologic Mapping & Report Writing
- Igneous & Metamorphic Petrology
- Igneous & Metamorphic Field
- Computer Application in Geology
- Sedimentary Geology
- Paleontology Field
- 48 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , International
- Apply before , International
DisciplinesSoil Science Geology Environmental Sciences View 488 other Masters in Geology in United States
- Complete a high/secondary school curriculum which totals 12 years of primary-secondary education, and earn a graduation diploma or certificate
- Complete high school curriculum with above satisfactory grades or marks which equals a 2.0 grade point average (GPA) on the 4.0 grading scale
- Submit official high school transcript (academic record), showing all courses with grades or marks, and graduation diploma or certificate. Official transcript must be in the original language of issue. Submit certified English translations for non-English documents
- Submit official verification of English proficiency except where English is the applicant's native language and has attended for at least three years’ full time at an institution where English was the principal language of instruction
International7724 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 7724 USD per year during 48 months.
National: $1,665 per 1-6 units
Living costs for Rohnert Park
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 9 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.