The cultural and historical expressions of German can best be understood by interdisciplinary study and by situating German, Austrian, and Swiss cultures within the larger European and global context.
In pursuing work in German Studies, students at Bard College are expected to take a range of courses in the program, focusing on literature, history, philosophy, and politics but also taking advantage of related courses in art history, music, theater, and film. German Studies can be pursued as a stand-alone major; designing a joint major with another discipline is encouraged and fully supported.
Recent Senior Projects in German Studies
- “The Devil Figure in Goethe, Boito, and Gounod”
- “Echoes of the Written World: On the Difficulties of Memory and Belonging in W. G. Sebald’s Die Ringe des Saturn”
- “(In)Hospitable: Refugees as ‘Guests’ in Germany Today”
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- A student moderates into German Studies with a focus in German literature. Joint majors moderate separately into German Studies and the related discipline (philosophy, music, economics, etc.) or they may integrate German Studies and another field of inquiry into one Moderation.
- Before Moderation, potential majors are required to participate in the annual German intensive program, a semester of intensive language study at Bard in the spring followed by a month’s study in August at Bard College Berlin; a survey course in German literature; and at least one semester of German or European history.
- After Moderation, the student is required to take at least one German literature course in German per semester until graduation and write a Senior Project in the senior year.
- 48 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesLanguage Studies Languages View 1969 other Masters in Languages in United States
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Apply using the Common Application.High School transcript (Include mid-year senior grades if available at the time you apply.)School Report (Form is generally completed by a high school counselor and includes a school profile.)Teacher recommendations (Two are required: We prefer that one recommendation come from an English or humanities instructor and one from a math or science instructor.)
- TOEFL exam or IELTS exam or Duolingo English Test (For English proficiency requirements, see below.) All international applicants who speak a foreign language other than English as their primary language must submit a completed TOEFL exam or IELTS exam or Duolingo English Test.
- Completed Certification of Finances form
International57717 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 57717 USD per year during 48 months.
National57717 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 57717 USD per year during 48 months.
Living costs for New York City
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Due for update
Updated over a year ago
Check the official programme website for potential updates.