Students with both disciplinary and regional expertise are better prepared to thoughtfully engage global issues. For internationally focused Macalester, recognition of the importance of area studies dates back to the 1950s, and is currently embodied in our African, Latin American, Asian, and Russian-Central-East European studies programs.
African Studies has grown to be a dynamic realm of inquiry that regularly contributes to the broader academic discourse. Africanist scholars have tested the validity of widely accepted notions in the African context. They also have developed new theories that have influenced thinking in other regional contexts.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Dynamic Africa
- Geography of Africa: Local Resources and Livelihoods in a Global Context
- History of Africa to 1800
- Africa Since 1800
- Global Encounters in History: China and Africa
- Power and Development in Africa
- African Music
- African Music Ensemble
- African-Based Movement I
- Cultural Anthropology
- Refugees/Humanitarian Response
- People, Agriculture and the Environment
- 48 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesArea & Cultural Studies View 1882 other Masters in Area & Cultural Studies in United States
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Create a Common Application and choose Macalester for your college list.
- $40 Application Fee
- Submit scores from either the ACT or the SAT. Self-reported test scores will be accepted in the admissions process. Admitted students who decide to enroll will be required to submit official score reports.
- For students whose primary language is not English, Macalester requires submission of TOEFL, IELTS or Duolingo English Test scores.
- Request that your secondary school(s) send Macalester official transcript(s) of all classes and grades beginning with 9th grade.
International58248 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 58248 USD per year during 48 months.
National58248 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 58248 USD per year during 48 months.
Living costs for Saint Paul
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Due for update
Updated over a year ago
Check the official programme website for potential updates.