The Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry at Middlebury College is a group of faculty, staff, and undergraduates who together are dedicated to the intellectual and professional growth of the student.
The Department awards B.A. degrees in Chemistry, Environmental Chemistry (interdisciplinary program), Biochemistry, and Molecular Biology and Biochemistry (interdisciplinary program). Department members hold expertise in all major areas of chemistry including organic, inorganic, physical, analytical, environmental, and biological chemistry.
The eight full time faculty members provide a traditional chemistry and biochemistry program with opportunities for the student to pursue their own particular interests in chemistry or biochemistry in their last two years. Many majors use this opportunity to carry out an honors thesis project working one-on-one on a research endeavor with a faculty mentor.
The Bachelor in Chemistry and Biochemistry at Middlebury College graduates of the program are prepared for entry into graduate or medical programs or for employment by the chemical or biotechnology private sector.
Learning Goals for the MajorUpon graduation, a student acquiring a degree in Chemistry or Biochemistry should:
- Be an independent learner and critical thinker.
- Gain an understanding of the important questions of the field.
- Appreciate the molecular perspective in explaining and understanding natural phenomena.
- Be capable of using empirical evidence to arrive at scientifically defensible conclusions.
- Understand fundamental chemistry and biochemistry concepts.
- Master fundamental laboratory techniques in a safe and proficient manner.
- Be able to pose and test scientific hypotheses.
- Have effective oral and written communication skills.
- Be able to collaborate with others.
- Recognize how new knowledge is added to the field.
- Be adequately prepared for experiences, including post-graduate study, related to the fields of chemistry or biochemistry.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- World of Chemistry
- General Chemistry
- Advanced General Chemistry
- Organic: Struct & Reactivity
- Organic: Synthesis & Spect
- Bioinorganic Chemistry
- Medicinal Chemistry
- Chemical Biology
- Biochemistry of Macromolecules
- Inorganic and Physical Chemistry
- 48 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesChemical Engineering Chemistry Biochemistry View 1825 other Masters in Chemistry in United States
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Essay: Middlebury admissions requires an application essay.
- Two Teacher Recommendations: Allow ample time for teachers to complete their recommendations online by the deadline.
- School Report, Counselor Recommendation, and Transcript
- Senior Grades: All applicants should request that their counselor send midyear grades
- Application Fee: Our $65 application fee is nonrefundable.
- English Proficiency Test: Middlebury accepts a number of English proficiency tests for students whose first language is not English or whose secondary education has been at a school where English is not the primary language of instruction.
- Additional Materials: You will be able to upload additional materials directly to your student portal. We cannot guarantee that any additional materials submitted beyond what is required will be reviewed by our admissions readers, but we make every effort to read or view all materials sent to us.
International57880 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 57880 USD per year during 48 months.
National57880 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 57880 USD per year during 48 months.
Living costs for Middlebury
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 9 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.