With the implementation of the Biochemistry program of Hampton University, the Department of Chemistry will offer two baccalaureate degrees: a B.S. degree in Chemistry and a B.S. degree in Biochemistry. Both degrees will be certified by the American Chemical Society. The Forensic chemistry program that was established five years ago will continue to be offered as an option within the Chemistry curriculum.
Biochemistry is the study of the chemical processes in living organisms. It deals with the structure and functions of cellular components, such as proteins, carbohydrates, lipids, nucleic acids, and other biomolecules. Biochemistry combines biology with organic chemistry, inorganic chemistry, and physical chemistry to elucidate the mechanisms by which living things obtain energy from food; the chemical basis of heredity; and biological changes related to disease.
Our program represents a carefully designed curriculum that combines key topics in biological, chemical, mathematical and other sciences to provide the student an educational experience leading to an undergraduate degree in Biochemistry.
The program will place Hampton University in a rather unique position in three respects:
- we will be one of very few institutions that offer an undergraduate degree in Biochemistry; only three other HBCUs offer this degree;
- it will promote our visibility for student recruitment and also enhance our competitiveness for research and other programmatic grants; and
- the program will provide a suitable medical/biomedical career path alternative for the large number of students who matriculate at HU with medical careers in mind.
- General Chemistry
- Organic Chemistry
- Basic Topic Research in Chemistry
- 48 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesChemistry Biology Biochemistry View 2082 other Bachelors in Biochemistry in United States
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
We are not aware of any English requirements for this programme.
- Completed on-line application
- Application fee of $50 (non-refundable). Hampton University does not accept ANY fee waivers.
- OFFICIAL high school transcript.
- Standardized test (SAT or ACT) Only
- One letter of recommendation from your high school guidance counselor or a high school teacher
- A minimum 500 word essay on the topic of CHARACTER: Describe what exhibiting good character means to you and provide specific examples of your demonstrated behavior in this regard.
- High School Completion
- African Students - General Certificate of Education or the West African School Certificate, Ordinary level, and Division II, with at least 6 passes.
- Completion of high school equivalency as attested by the AACRAO National Credentials Evaluation Project.
International26198 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 26198 USD per year during 48 months.
National26198 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 26198 USD per year during 48 months.
Living costs for Hampton
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.