With the implementation of the Biochemistry program of Hampton University, the Department of Chemistry will offer two baccalaureate degrees: a B.S. degree in Chemistry and a B.S. degree in Biochemistry. Both degrees will be certified by the American Chemical Society. The Forensic chemistry program that was established five years ago will continue to be offered as an option within the Chemistry curriculum.
Biochemistry is the study of the chemical processes in living organisms. It deals with the structure and functions of cellular components, such as proteins, carbohydrates, lipids, nucleic acids, and other biomolecules. Biochemistry combines biology with organic chemistry, inorganic chemistry, and physical chemistry to elucidate the mechanisms by which living things obtain energy from food; the chemical basis of heredity; and biological changes related to disease.
Our program represents a carefully designed curriculum that combines key topics in biological, chemical, mathematical and other sciences to provide the student an educational experience leading to an undergraduate degree in Biochemistry. The program will place Hampton University in a rather unique position in three respects:
- we will be one of very few institutions that offer an undergraduate degree in Biochemistry; only three other HBCUs offer this degree;
- it will promote our visibility for student recruitment and also enhance our competitiveness for research and other programmatic grants; and
- the program will provide a suitable medical/biomedical career path alternative for the large number of students who matriculate at HU with medical careers in mind.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- General Chemistry
- Organic Chemistry
- Basic Topic Research in Chemistry
- 48 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- Apply before
DisciplinesChemistry Biology Biochemistry View 1828 other Bachelors in Biochemistry in United States
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
We are not aware of any English requirements for this programme.
- High School Completion.
- African Students - General Certificate of Education or the West African School Certificate, Ordinary level, and Division II, with at least 6 passes. (One each in English grammar, mathematics, and science).
- Others: Completion of high school equivalency as attested by the AACRAO National Credentials Evaluation Project.
- Score not less than 1000 on SAT (Math and Critical Reading score only) or an equivalent score on the ACT, or TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language)
- Issuance of I-20 Form
International26198 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 26198 USD per year during 48 months.
National26198 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 26198 USD per year during 48 months.
Living costs for Hampton
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Due for update
Updated over a year ago
Check the official programme website for potential updates.