The Bachelor in East Asian Studies from Mount Holyoke College allows students to explore the rich and extremely diverse cultures of Asia, home to some 60 percent of humanity. Students may select from three regionally focused majors: East Asian Studies, South Asian Studies, and Middle Eastern Studies. Or they may select a fourth major, Asian Studies (Transregional), which allows them to study the diversity of Asia in a comparative framework. All four majors require an interdisciplinary course of study, including the humanities and social sciences. Achieving language proficiency is an important goal of each major. Courses in Arabic, Chinese, Hebrew, Japanese, and Korean are currently offered at Mount Holyoke, and many other Asian languages are offered through the Five College Center for the Study of World Languages. A wide array of extracurricular activities, including weekly language tables, films, and festivals, complements coursework.
Most majors continue their exploration of Asia through study abroad programs in:
- and many other countries.
Language study is the core component of the major. We offer four levels of instruction in Chinese, three in Japanese, up to three in Arabic, up to two in Korean, and a basic course in Sanskrit. Our students are expected to incorporate the humanities and the social sciences fully into their studies with classes at Mount Holyoke and the other colleges in the Five College Consortium.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
Programme StructureCourses Included:
- Philosophical Foundations of Chinese Thought: The Classical Period
- Androgyny and Gender Negotiation in Contemporary Chinese Women's Theater
- Newspaper Reading and Journalistic Practice in China
- Arts of Asia
- Arts of China
- Arts of Japan
- Arts of India
- 48 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesArea & Cultural Studies History View 1858 other Masters in Area & Cultural Studies in United States
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Common Application or Coalition Application
- Mount Holyoke Writing Supplement (optional)
- Secondary School Report, including official high school transcript
- Counselor Recommendation
- Two Teacher Evaluation Forms (from core academic courses)
- Midyear Report (due February 15, as applicable)*
- Standardized Test Scores (optional)
- Art Supplement (optional)
- English Proficiency Requirements for non-native English speakers
- Early Decision Agreement (if applicable)
- Interview (optional, but strongly encouraged)
International54400 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 54400 USD per year and a duration of 48 months.
National54400 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 54400 USD per year and a duration of 48 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 6 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.