The major and minor, which feature courses in the humanities, social sciences, and the arts, enables students to apply, critique, and reimagine the methodologies and insights of many disciplines to their understanding of the cultural, historical, political, and social development of people of African descent. The curriculum enables students to better understand the social structures and cultural traditions created by Africans in the diaspora and to better understand Western conceptualizations of race, the relationship between issues of race and identity, and the histories and influences of people of African descent.
Students who graduate the African American Studies program of Wesleyan University go on to pursue advanced degrees and careers in fields such as law, medicine, literature, education, business, public policy, African American studies, and the sciences.
The intellectual work of the African American Studies Department is enriched further by the programming of the Center for African American Studies. The center’s offerings deepen classroom and campus wide conversations about contemporary and historic matters relating to African American Studies and to the African diaspora.
Student Learning Goals
Our students are trained in cross-cultural, interdisciplinary, and critical approaches to the study of the experience of people of African descent in the Atlantic world, especially in the United States and the Caribbean. The major in African American Studies features an array of courses in the humanities, the social sciences, and the arts.
Students who major in African American Studies
- will develop sophisticated critical reading, writing, and research skills and will apply these in their studies of the histories and influences of people of African descent.
- will demonstrate their familiarity with the foundational ideas, theories, and methodological approaches of African American Studies.
- will develop and apply analytical skills that are rooted in the discipline of African American Studies and that are informed by interdisciplinary approaches to research.
- will use their enhanced analytical skills to demonstrate their understanding, assessments, and critiques of Western conceptualizations of race, issues of race ,and identity, African American intellectual traditions, cultural production, and political histories.
- will apply, critique, and reimagine the methodologies and insights of many disciplines to their understanding of the cultural, historical, political, and social development of people of African descent.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Africana Studies: Black Radical Thought and Praxis
- History of African American Art
- Reading Toni Morrison: Blackness and the Literary Imagination
- Marxism and Abolitionism
- Technologies of the Self
- Communicating Racial Justice
- 48 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesArea & Cultural Studies History American Studies View 225 other Masters in American Studies in United States
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Completed Common Application or Coalition Application
- Secondary School Report and official high school transcripts
- Counselor Recommendation
- Mid-year Grade Report
- Two Teacher Evaluations
- $55 Application Fee (non-refundable) or Fee Waiver
- If you wish to submit your SAT or ACT as proof of English proficiency, you must submit all sections of the SAT or ACT.
- A high degree of proficiency in English, as described below, must also be demonstrated.
- A strong secondary school preparation in English, social science, science, mathematics, and a foreign language.
- Candidates studying at schools outside the US who have taken national examinations for university admission (A levels, French Baccalaureate, ISC, International Baccalaureate, etc.) are expected to have achieved superior results.
- Interviews are not required as part of the admissions process, but we encourage prospective students to arrange them if possible.
International59086 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 59086 USD per year and a duration of 48 months.
National59086 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 59086 USD per year and a duration of 48 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 9 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.