All members of the Italian department are seriously committed to the idea that learning a foreign language is an inherent part of an undergraduate education. We are convinced that if we teach our students a language within a cultural context, we are broadening their minds and opening them up to the possibility of a variety of interpretations of life. We feel that this will assure them access to Italy's rich cultural offerings in literature, in art, and in music, to name just a few.
We expect our Italian Studies students at the Smith College to develop the following capacities:
- Linguistic Competence: To learn and master the Italian language and culture in the native speaker’s context. This means to develop, construct and perfect an explicit and implicit linguistic system consisting of a variety of components that interact in all the different aspects of language use (speaking, writing, reading, listening).
- Cultural Competence: To acquire basic knowledge of some central aspects of Italian and Italophone culture including history, politics, geography, literature, music, cinema, design and visual arts, as well as sociocultural practices, such as private and public spaces, emigration and immigration, colonialism, gender issues, food and culinary traditions. To develop a comparative and multifaceted approach to Italian culture that views it as part of the Mediterranean cultural history.
- Transcultural Competence: To develop and further “transcultural competence," that is, the ability to reflect on the world and oneself through the lens of another language and culture. To enable students to establish relevant, critical connections between Italian culture, their own culture and other academic fields, within the framework of contemporary intercultural society. To make them reflect on the processes and the challenges faced by any act of translation between languages.
- Critical and Analytical Thinking: To become sophisticated readers of texts whether literary or not. To show the ability to sustain an argument and conduct appropriate in-depth research. To develop a practical familiarity with appropriate critical resources written both in English and Italian and cite them according to academic conventions.
- Global Citizenship: Through study abroad and internships in Italy, to learn how to become global citizens and help build cosmopolitan communities. To learn to value and creatively include diversity in spite of the challenges it represents to community building. To be equipped with the competence required to live in our increasingly more complex 21st-century world.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Elementary Italian
- Made in Italy: Italian Design and World Culture
- Savoring Italy: Recipes and Thoughts on Italian Cuisine and Culture
- Culture Context: Italian Immersion
- Italian Cinema Looks East
- The Theory and Practice of Translation
- 48 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesArea & Cultural Studies Language Studies View 1872 other Masters in Area & Cultural Studies in United States
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
We are not aware of any English requirements for this programme.
- Common Application or Coalition Application
- Smith Writing Supplement
- Secondary School Report, including official high school transcript
- Counselor Recommendation
- Two Teacher Evaluation Forms
- Official SAT I, ACT, TOEFL, IELTS, PTE or the Duolingo English Test/*DET*
- Early Decision Agreement (if applicable)
International53940 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 53940 USD per year during 48 months.
National53940 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 53940 USD per year during 48 months.
Living costs for Northampton
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 6 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.