he objectives of the major are to prepare students to transcend disciplinary boundaries, combine analytical and communication skills with a well-rounded understanding of the environment and translate this knowledge into meaningful action and innovative solutions. Four integration courses form the core of the major.
Each course brings together frameworks, proficiencies and knowledge from natural and social sciences in an explicitly integrative fashion to explore and analyze important environmental topics at local to global scales. Additional introductory courses provide breadth in the natural and social sciences, humanities and policy, and statistics, and to introduce students to fundamental aspects of disciplines important to understanding human-environment interactions.
Students gain depth of knowledge by choosing a coherent sequence of electives with a clear environmental focus. Students are strongly encouraged to engage in environmentally oriented internships, independent research or study away opportunities.
By the time they graduate, Environmental Science and Policy majors at the Smith College should:
- Have a well-rounded understanding of earth and environmental processes and human-environment interactions.
- Think in systems across spatial, temporal and organizational scales.
- Recognize the connections between social justice and environmental issues.
- Integrate knowledge and approaches from different disciplines and identify underlying assumptions when approaching environmental problems.
- Be able to collect and analyze relevant data and human experiences.
- Be able to synthesize and communicate environmental information to multiple audiences in different forms.
- Have practical experience translating knowledge into meaningful action and innovative solutions.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Sustainability and Social-Ecological Systems
- Researching Environmental Problems
- Interpreting and Communicating Env Information
- Sustainable Solutions
- 48 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesEnvironmental Economics & Policy Environmental Sciences View 200 other Masters in Environmental Economics & Policy in United States
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
We are not aware of any English requirements for this programme.
- Common Application or Coalition Application
- Smith Writing Supplement
- Secondary School Report, including official high school transcript
- Counselor Recommendation
- Two Teacher Evaluation Forms
- Official SAT I, ACT, TOEFL, IELTS, PTE or the Duolingo English Test/*DET*
- Early Decision Agreement (if applicable)
International53940 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 53940 USD per year and a duration of 48 months.
National53940 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 53940 USD per year and a duration of 48 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 6 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.