Whether a student is interested in East Asia or North America, Maya ceramics or medieval manuscripts, the art history program seeks to understand questions of visual literacy and the roles that art and architecture play in our present world.
Upon graduating from The History of Art program at the Smith College, students will be able to:
- Develop familiarity with original works of art and/or architecture and with research tools appropriate for the discipline, including print scholarship, online databases and various reference materials.
- Communicate their ideas effectively in written, oral and (as appropriate) material form, including public presentations that rely upon the display of visual images or artwork.
- Engage a range of disciplines in their work, in the spirit of a liberal arts education.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Art History—Methods, Issues, Debates is recommended for art history majors. Students entering Smith with a 5 on the AP art history exam may choose to be exempted from ARH 110, replacing it with another art history course at the 200-level or above.
- Students planning to major or to do honors work in art history will find it valuable to take courses in literature, philosophy, religion and history in the first two years. A reading knowledge of foreign languages is useful for historical courses. Courses may require one or more trips to Boston, New York or other places in the vicinity to study original works of art.
- 48 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesHistory Art History View 843 other Masters in Art History in United States
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
We are not aware of any English requirements for this programme.
- Common Application or Coalition Application
- Smith Writing Supplement
- Secondary School Report, including official high school transcript
- Counselor Recommendation
- Two Teacher Evaluation Forms
- Official SAT I, ACT, TOEFL, IELTS, PTE or the Duolingo English Test/*DET*
- Early Decision Agreement (if applicable)
International53940 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 53940 USD per year during 48 months.
National53940 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 53940 USD per year during 48 months.
Living costs for Northampton
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 6 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.