An appreciation for the complexity of cultures is a critical skill in any profession that reaches across social divides.
Goals for Majors in Anthropology
Students should have:
- an understanding of the breadth of the subfields of cultural anthropology and/or archeology
- knowledge of the research methods used by anthropologists
- an understanding of the concept of culture and how cultural processes work in the production of meaning
- knowledge of the theoretical foundations of the discipline
- knowledge of the ethical implications of research
- the ability to apply 1–5 to real-world situations both inside and outside of academia
Student Learning Outcomes
All majors in Anthropology at the Smith College are expected to demonstrate:
- The ability to communicate in writing and in oral presentations in classrooms and other settings
- The ability to conduct library or document based research
- The ability to read and interpret professional publications in anthropology
- Understanding of the links among anthropological data, method and theory
- Understanding of the possible impacts of anthropological knowledge on broader questions of policy, political participation, and the allocation of diverse tangible and intangible resources
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Cultural Anthropology
- The Archaeology of Food
- Africa and the Environment
- Medical Anthropology
- Biopower, Bioplitics and Governance
- 48 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesArea & Cultural Studies Archaeology Anthropology View 120 other Masters in Archaeology in United States
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
We are not aware of any English requirements for this programme.
- Common Application or Coalition Application
- Smith Writing Supplement
- Secondary School Report, including official high school transcript
- Counselor Recommendation
- Two Teacher Evaluation Forms
- Official SAT I, ACT, TOEFL, IELTS, PTE or the Duolingo English Test/*DET*
- Early Decision Agreement (if applicable)
International53940 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 53940 USD per year during 48 months.
National53940 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 53940 USD per year during 48 months.
Living costs for Northampton
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 6 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.