To succeed in the Astrophysics program at the Illinois Institute of Technology, a prospective student should have had chemistry, biology and physics in high school as well as pre-calculus at a minimum.
A course in astronomy, if offered, would also be helpful. First year success will come easier if the student has completed honors or AP physics and any offering of calculus in high school. Credit for AP calculus can be given for scores of 4 or 5 on the AP exam in Calculus AB or BC and scores of 4 or 5 in AP Physics C.
Graduates with an Astrophysics degree generally move on to jobs in government, universities, the private sector or onto teaching positions in middle and high schools.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Introduction to the Profession
- General Physics
- Computational Science
- Kinetic Theory and Thermodynamics
- Classic Mechanics
- Modern Physics
- Introduction to Astrophysics
- Observational Astrophysics
- 48 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , National
- Apply before
- Apply before , International
DisciplinesPhysics Astronomy & Space Sciences View 177 other Masters in Astronomy & Space Sciences in United States
Academic requirements: Academic requirements: average GPA of a 3.0 (on a 4.0 U.S. scale)
- SAT requirement: Varies depending on department, minimum 1100 with good scores in maths.
- Letter of Recommendation is required
- ACT Composite: 27+ (Must have 27+ in Math)
- SAT Composite: 1240+ (Must have 630+ in Math)
International48670 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 48670 USD per year during 48 months.
National48670 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 48670 USD per year during 48 months.
Living costs for Chicago
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
- When choosing a college, it’s important to consider not just the cost of the education, but also its long-term value. Attending IIT is an enriching experience that creates opportunities for your future, whether in undergraduate/graduate study, the workplace, or daily life. As well there are opportunities to receive
- At IIT, more than 97 percent of students receive some type of financial aid, whether it be need-based, merit-based, or both. There are also scholarship opportunities that can cover most of your college expenses.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Due for update
Updated over a year ago
Check the official programme website for potential updates.