In practice, the two fields overlap, and the two terms are often used interchangeably. The skills of both are used by researchers who want to be able to develop their own tools and methods to explore and process data in the service of new discoveries; analysts who process data for others; and software engineers who write the software that researchers and analysts use.
Bioinformatics program at Illinois Institute of Technology blends courses in biology, chemistry, and physics with courses in programming, statistics, and other methods, producing graduates who are both strong in science, and strong in the ability to develop and use tools to process data to advance knowledge of science.
Our program is scientifically rigorous, particularly in the physical sciences, while providing students with in-demand programming and other skills. It features a solid, balanced offering in STEM courses, while other programs may be more biased in one direction (biology) or the other (computer science).
Courses include programming in Perl, C++ and Java; data structure and algorithms; data mining; statistics; human biology; genetics; genomics and transcriptomics; and more.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Introduction to the Profession
- Linux/Perl Programming
- General Biology
- Human Biology
- Microbiology Laboratory
- Genomics and Transcriptomics
- 48 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , National
- Apply before , International
- Apply before
DisciplinesBiology Informatics & Information Sciences Genetics View 622 other Masters in Informatics & Information Sciences in United States
Academic requirements: Academic requirements: average GPA of a 3.0 (on a 4.0 U.S. scale)
- SAT requirement: Varies depending on department, minimum 1100 with good scores in maths.
- Letter of Recommendation is required
- ACT Composite: 27+ (Must have 27+ in Math)
- SAT Composite: 1240+ (Must have 630+ in Math)
International48670 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 48670 USD per year during 48 months.
National48670 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 48670 USD per year during 48 months.
Living costs for Chicago
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
- When choosing a college, it’s important to consider not just the cost of the education, but also its long-term value. Attending IIT is an enriching experience that creates opportunities for your future, whether in undergraduate/graduate study, the workplace, or daily life. As well there are opportunities to receive
- At IIT, more than 97 percent of students receive some type of financial aid, whether it be need-based, merit-based, or both. There are also scholarship opportunities that can cover most of your college expenses.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Due for update
Updated over a year ago
Check the official programme website for potential updates.