Environmental & Sustainability Studies (ENS) is an interdisciplinary field that examines the social and environmental understandings, causes, consequences, and policy responses to important environmental issues taking place around the world such as global climate change, pollution, and biodiversity loss.
Students in the Environmental and Sustainability Studies program at the University of Kentucky will have a better understanding of contemporary environmental problems, policies, and solutions. This important major provides students with the capacity to not only understand, but also affect positive changes for environmental sustainability.
The program will provide students with a broad liberal-arts education in environmental studies within the context of sustainability. The program was designed to be compatible with other disciplinary subjects so students can double major or minor with the ENS B.A.
Students will obtain the fundamental knowledge required to understand the relationships that exist between the environment and society, important and pressing environmental problems facing the world today, and better solutions for addressing those issues.
The program will develop the critical thinking, communication, and independent study skills necessary for students to pursue careers in environmental sustainability.
These include policy work at city, state, federal and international environmental agencies, sustainable business, education and law (with appropriate training), non-governmental organizations, and many more depending on the students’ interests.
- Environmental non-profit organization
- State, federal, and international research foundations
- Corporate Social responsibility/sustainability professionals
- Natural sciences managers
- Sustainability consultancies and management Environmental and sustainability journalists
- Environmental justice advocates
- Environmental scientists
- Environmental economist
- Parks and recreation management
- Green building professionals
- Sustainable agriculture specialists
- Green economy and climate change experts
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Environmental and Sustainability Studies: Humanities and Social Sciences
- Environmental and Sustainability Studies: Natural Science and Policy
- Environmental Writing
- Special Topics
- Environmental Ethics
- 48 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , International
- Apply before , National
DisciplinesSustainable Development Environmental Sciences View 139 other Masters in Sustainable Development in United States
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
Admission for freshman applicants is based on a holistic review including high school grades, national college admission test results (if submitted), successful completion of the pre-college curriculum and essay. Some colleges and programs at UK require an admission process separate from general undergraduate admission to the University. These selective admission majors and programs may require some combination of the following:
- Standardized test scores and/or higher GPAs than those required for general admission, including meeting the minimum Kentucky statewide academic readiness requirements for Reading, Writing and Math.
- A separate application after being admitted for general admission
- A portfolio of past work related to the requested field
- On-campus or video interviews
International31500 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 31500 USD per year and a duration of 48 months.
National31500 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 31500 USD per year and a duration of 48 months.
In-State12484 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 12484 USD per year and a duration of 48 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 6 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.