The field is explicitly historical and comparative, looking at social relations in the United States and internationally over time.
Courses focus on the sociology, history and politics of intergroup relations, paying close attention to the interplay of such factors as class, race, ethnicity, sex/gender, religious belief and national identity. The program uses the study of social relations as a way to cultivate reasoning, methodological and analytical skills, and the capacities for empathetic observation, normative judgment and effective problem solving.
Social Relations and Policy is housed in James Madison College, Michigan State University’s residential college for international and public affairs, which is a limited-enrollment program.
- Social workers
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
Programme StructureCourses include:
- Social Theory and Social Relations
- Immigrants, Minorities, and American Pluralism
- Social Policy
- State and Society in Comparative Perspective
- Economic Growth
- Urban and Regional Development
- Educational Policy
- Evolution and Society
- Science and Social Policy
- Policy Evaluation
- 48 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesSociology Public Policy Political Science View 1354 other Masters in Sociology in United States
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Complete MSU’s application for admission online, including the required personal statement.
- Pay the $75 nonrefundable application fee.
- Request that all secondary schools, colleges or universities attended and examination boards send original or attested copies of all transcripts, diplomas, mark sheets and certificates directly to Michigan State University in an official, sealed envelope.
- Have the testing agency (TOEFL, IELTS, SAT, MSUELT or MELAB accepted).
- International students are encouraged, though not required, to submit SAT or ACT scores.
- Do not send letters of recommendation, photographs, portfolios or additional personal essays.
International41330 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 41330 USD per year and a duration of 48 months.
National39830 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 39830 USD per year and a duration of 48 months.
In-State14524 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 14524 USD per year and a duration of 48 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Due for update
Updated over a year ago
Check the official programme website for potential updates.