Run through the Institute for the Liberal Arts (ILA), the IDS major allows you to create your own program around a field that you define.
You’ll work with faculty advisors to help you structure your program and select courses from across departments. Build a solid foundation in writing and research, and your senior project will contribute to the broader public knowledge.
Recent students of the Interdisciplinary Studies program of Emory University have focused on the contemporary reception and valuation of science among native American peoples, socioeconomic determinants of health in Georgia counties, and social entrepreneurship in Latin America, just to name a few.
Earning a degree in interdisciplinary studies allows you to customize your studies to specific career interests. Because innovation so frequently happens at the intersectionsof fields, those who can comfortably navigate and connect disparate knowledge (like math and dance or philosophy and chemistry) will have the advantage in workplace as well as thought leadership.
Recent Emory graduates work at the National Institutes of Health, Georgia Public Broadcasting, Humanity in Action, and Carat.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
Programme StructureCourses include:
- Interdisciplinary Foundations
- Interdisciplinary Problems
- Introduction To Media Studies
- Science & the Nature of Evidence
- Foundations of Sustainability
- Foundation Development Studies
- 48 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesArea & Cultural Studies International Relations Sociology View 1884 other Masters in Area & Cultural Studies in United States
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- The Common Application or Coalition Application
- $75 application fee or application fee waiver
- Official high school transcripts and official college transcripts, if applicable
- Official or self-reported scores from the SAT and/or the ACT. If English is your second language, TOEFL or IELTS results are also recommended
- Secondary school report/counselor’s recommendation
- Two teacher letters of recommendation from core-area academic teachers
- For those applying EDII or RD: Midyear report and transcript
International55200 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 55200 USD per year during 48 months.
National55200 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 55200 USD per year during 48 months.
Living costs for Atlanta
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Due for update
Updated over a year ago
Check the official programme website for potential updates.