Students majoring in jazz studies elect to complete either an emphasis in jazz performance or jazz composition. Upon completion of the program, students receive a Bachelor of Music in jazz studies.
Students majoring in Music - Jazz Studies program from The Ohio State University will achieve the following learning outcomes:
Students must demonstrate achievement of professional, entry-level competence in the area of specialization, including significant technical mastery, capability to produce work and solve professional problems independently, and a coherent set of artistic/intellectual goals that are evident in their work.
- Students will engage in applied studies each semester that will provide appropriate skills, knowledge and experience to prepare students for graduate programs and professional careers in the field. They will demonstrate an understanding of a wide range of historical styles and periods.
- Students will complete courses in music theory, music history, and area-specific literature and pedagogy that will provide appropriate skills, knowledge and experience to prepare them for professional careers in the field. These courses will represent a wide range of historical styles and periods.
Students will have the ability to communicate musical ideas, concepts and requirements to professionals and lay persons related to the practice of the major field. Such communication may involve musical, oral, written and visual media.
- Students will complete curricular requirements that include courses designed to develop oral and written communication skills.
- Students will gain knowledge and experience in pedagogical methodologies in their area of specialization.
Students in jazz studies have a variety of career opportunities. Some graduates begin playing professionally either as a soloist or in a group following their collegiate experience. Other opportunities include studio work as performers and writers or freelance work. In addition, some graduates move into business and industry or other music-related careers.
Those interested in pursuing a professional career as a performer usually continue directly into graduate study upon completion of the undergraduate degree. The same is true of students interested in securing a position as a jazz studies teacher at a college or university.
Ohio State’s professional counseling staff specializes in personal development and academic growth. In addition, Ohio State’s career and job placement offices around campus offer help in career planning and, as students move closer to graduation, help with resume writing, writing application letters and job placement. These offices can help students match interests and strengths with a promising career. Ohio State recognizes that students’ needs for career support services vary and offers special services for disabled students, veterans, minority students and international students.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Music Theory
- Music Aural Training
- Music History
- World Music
- Large and small ensembles
- Keyboard skills
- 48 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- Apply before
DisciplinesMusic Music History View 2096 other Masters in Music in United States
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Successful completion of university preparatory courses
- High school performance (class rank or GPA), including participation in accelerated programs like Honors, AP and IB; Ohio State does not have minimum requirements for class rank or GPA
- Standardized test score (ACT or SAT); Ohio State does not have minimum requirements for ACT or SAT scores
- Ability and desire to contribute to and engage with a diverse campus community
- Experiences that demonstrate leadership or engaged involvement(e.g., co-curricular activities, work experiences or military service)
- Status as a first-generation university student
- High school performance if adversely affected by physical, mental or learning environment factors
International36430 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 36430 USD per year and a duration of 48 months.
National33502 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 33502 USD per year and a duration of 48 months.
In-State11508 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 11508 USD per year and a duration of 48 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Due for update
Updated over a year ago
Check the official programme website for potential updates.