Civil engineers provide the infrastructural support required to sustain life. This includes water and power, roads, railways, schools, hospitals, flood protection and the developed city skyline. They provide the technical skills needed to protect both the built and the natural environment.
Civil Engineering at Queens was ranked 10th in the UK in the 2019 UK Guardian University League tables.
On graduating with an Honours degree, students are able to choose from a range of rewarding and challenging careers in Civil Engineering and are also sought after in accountancy, commerce, education and research. The majority of graduates take up posts associated with design and construction.
Some embark on management, accountancy and finance careers, while others go into teaching and research. Employment in consulting engineers' offices and in the public sector will centre on feasibility, planning and detailed design. Alternatively, work with a contracting company will provide extensive experience on site where management skills are important in addition to technical knowledge.
Our engineering graduates are also to be found in many other areas of employment where the skills and discipline of evaluating facts, decision making and management have provided them with the basis for rewarding and interesting careers.
Studying for a Civil Engineering programme at Queen's University Belfast will assist you in developing the core skills and employment-related experiences that are valued by employers, professional organisations and academic institutions.
Graduates from this degree at Queen’s are well regarded by many employers (local, national and international) and over half of all graduate jobs are now open to graduates of any discipline, including Civil Engineering.
Although the majority of our graduates are interested in pursuing careers in Civil Engineering significant numbers develop careers in a wide range of other sectors.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- This degree is designed to provide students with a good basis for a professional career as a chartered Civil Engineer. Emphasis is placed on the practical application of theory through design and laboratory work. The degrees contain an element of modular choice, but all students are required to take modules which will equip them with the technical, management and professional skills needed for a career in civil engineering.
- Students study the fundamentals of civil engineering theory and practice. This forms the transition from the basic mathematics and sciences studied at secondary level to engineering applications.
- Stage 1 courses provide a foundation in engineering mathematics, construction materials, fluids mechanics, structural behaviour, surveying, and engineering design.
- 48 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesCivil Engineering & Construction View 430 other Bachelors in Civil Engineering & Construction in United Kingdom
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
A level requirements
- AAA including Mathematics and at least one from Biology, Chemistry, Computing, Digital Technology, Geography, ICT (not Applied ICT), Physics, Software Systems Development or Technology and Design.
Irish leaving certificate requirements
- H2H2H3H3H3H3 including Higher Level grade H2 in Mathematics and a Science subject (see list under A-level list requirements)
- Not considered. Applicants should apply for the BEng Civil Engineering degree.
International21400 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 21400 GBP per year during 48 months.
National4530 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 4530 GBP per year during 48 months.
- England, Scotland or Wales (GB): £9,250
Living costs for Belfast
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Due for update
Updated over a year ago
Check the official programme website for potential updates.