The Product Design program offered by Minneapolis College of Art and Design offers a solid foundation in critical thinking, design thinking, qualitative and quantitative research, material experimentation, and human-centered design methodologies, as well as a breadth of 2D and 3D making skills. In addition, you will develop your presentation, business, and marketing skills in order to effectively communicate ideas to a variety of audiences.
Graduates with B.F.A. in Product Design from Minneapolis College of Art and Design will be able to:
- Clarify design objectives, define project parameters and evaluate their own and their peer’s work based on these objectives and parameters.
- Confidently perform the designer’s core function as form-giver, creating fully-resolved, inspired, context-appropriate form, shape, texture and color.
- Use two-dimensional media (drawings, renderings, production documentation, etc.) and three-dimensional models, prototypes and other visual and spatial representations to develop and effectively communicate design intent.
- Develop designs using industry-standard digital tools, platforms, and processes.
- Identify common materials, manufacturing and assembly processes used in the mass-production of designed objects and assess the economic, social, cultural and ecological impact of each material and process.
- Utilize research methods to understand market sectors and evaluate the market viability of a particular product or design.
- Document the design development process and deliverables for portfolio and/or marketing use.
- Present work visually and verbally in a manner that is compelling to the intended audience, competently utilizing industry-specific language and technical terminology with specialists and more general language when speaking with non-specialists.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Design Drawing
- Digital Visualization: 3D CAD, Rendering, and Communication
- Human Factors
- Models and Prototypes
- Forms That Make Us Feel
- Designing for Bodies
- Viable Products: Design for Long-term Ecological, Economic, Cultural, and
- Personal Integrity
- How It's Made: Materials and Manufacturing Processes
- Understanding Marketplaces and Users
- Advanced Digital Visualization
- Product Design Client Studio
- 48 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- Apply before
DisciplinesDesign View 948 other Bachelors in Design in United States
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Application Form
- Official Transcripts
- Official Test Scores
- Letter of Recommendation
- Personal Statement
- Portfolio (optional for BS applicants)
- Proof of English proficiency
International41334 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 41334 USD per year during 48 months.
National41334 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 41334 USD per year during 48 months.
Living costs for Minneapolis
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Due for update
Updated over a year ago
Check the official programme website for potential updates.