The mission of the Mechanical Engineering program offered by South Dakota School of Mines & Technology is to prepare our graduates for leadership roles in the mechanical engineering profession by:
- offering a quality education by fostering a distinctive curriculum and accentuating design and project-based learning;
- committing to individual development while emphasizing the values of teamwork in a culturally diverse and multidisciplinary environment; and
- encouraging undergraduate and graduate research and nurturing creative solutions to complex engineering problems.
Student Jobs and Co-ops
Through cooperative education (co-ops) and internships, School of Mines students have many opportunities to apply their education to "real world" work experiences. Students are employed by industry and government agencies in positions related to mechanical engineering. Students may gain 1-3 hours of academic credit for their co-op or internship experience upon department approval.
Students registered for co-op courses keep their full-time student status during the semester they are on co-op. All Mines students are encouraged to have relevant work or research experience prior to graduation. Co-ops are often 6-8 months (semester + summer). Internships are usually for the summer or part-time during the school year. However, the terms are used interchangeably by employers.
The Bachelor of Science degree program in mechanical engineering at SDSM&T is accredited by the Engineering Accreditation Commission of ABET,
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- General Chemistry
- Introduction to Mechanical Engineering
- Programming for Engineers and Scientist
- 48 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , International
- Apply before , International
No deadline for admission. However, all international applicants should submit their documents at least three months prior to the start of the semester.
DisciplinesMechanical Engineering General Engineering & Technology Mechatronics View 1747 other Bachelors in General Engineering & Technology in United States
- Completed online application and the State of South Dakota application fee of $20.00.
- Academic credentials (translated into English).
- SAT or ACT scores - Math sub-scores should be a minimum of 590 on the SAT or 25 on the ACT.
- Evaluation of academic credentials
- Financial information documenting ability to pay.
International15400 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 15400 USD per year during 48 months.
National15400 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 15400 USD per year during 48 months.
In-State11020 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 11020 USD per year during 48 months.
Living costs for Rapid City
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last year
Check the official programme website for potential updates.