What is literature? What constitutes a literary education in the twenty-first century? How many ways are there to read and write about the same text, and how do we decide among various interpretations? How does our understanding of a work change when we consider its context, whether biographical, historical, cultural, or political? Why might we ask questions in literature classes about race, class, gender, and sexuality? Why should a student of literature study language? Why should a student interested in creative writing read literature? How does writing enable us to discover and shape our ideas? How does the English major prepare students for living in, and thoughtfully engaging with, the world?
The English major from Skidmore College invites students to consider such questions and to frame their own. Throughout the curriculum, English majors learn to read closely, think critically, challenge assumptions, practice methods of interpretation and research, analyze the formal qualities of texts, approach texts from various perspectives, place texts in various contexts, and write with clarity, coherence, and precision.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- English for Academic Purposes
- English Language Skills
- Writing Seminar
- Literary Studies
- Literary and Cultural Theory
- 48 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesLanguage Studies Languages View 3030 other Bachelors in Language Studies in United States
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Secondary School Report filled out by secondary school guidance counselor or school administrator (includes official high school transcript).
- Two academic Teacher Evaluation Reports .
- Midyear Report filled out by secondary school guidance counselor or school administrator or school administrator or school administrator
- English Language Proficiency test scores for those for whom English is not their first language.
- English fluency is required of all students as Skidmore's liberal arts curriculum is based heavily on written and oral communication. All students must have the ability to communicate inside and outside the classroom.
- Secondary school and university-level transcripts and recommendations. Those not in English should be accompanied by an English translation.
- $65 application fee (check or credit card accepted).
International58128 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 58128 USD per year during 48 months.
National58128 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 58128 USD per year during 48 months.
Living costs for Saratoga Springs
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Due for update
Updated over a year ago
Check the official programme website for potential updates.