The Philosophy major at the University of Northern Iowa is designed to provide depth and breadth in the study of philosophy, emphasizing the skills of logical reasoning, analytic reading, effective writing, and ethical reasoning, as well as focused study of the history of western philosophy, and fundamental conceptions of human nature and human practices.
The major is also flexible, so that students can take courses of interest to them. Courses in the philosophy major give students an opportunity to gain useful conceptual tools, increase their flexibility of mind, and improve their ability to view issues from multiple perspectives. Philosophy is one of the best pre-law majors; philosophy majors typically do extremely well in admission tests to graduate and professional schools.
Learning Goals and Courses
- What is a learning goal?
- A learning goal is a set of skills or body of knowledge that a student should expect to acquire or expand their mastery of by completing a particular major.
- By establishing learning goals, majors in Philosophy know exactly why they are taking each class. These learning goals divide the classes taken by majors in Philosophy into categories that are easily understood and that guide the student through the major and the learning process.
- Reading for Arguments and Assumptions
- Philosophy of Mind
- Society, Politics, and the Person
- Death, Sex and the Body: Phenomenology and Foucault
- Knowledge and Reality
- Nietzsche, Nihilism, and Technology
- Philosophy of Language: Wittgenstein
- 48 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesPhilosophy & Ethics Liberal Arts View 1114 other Bachelors in Philosophy & Ethics in United States
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- A completed online application form
- Non-refundable application fee of $50
- Proof of English proficiency
- Educational transcripts from secondary school
- A copy of the personal data page of your passport
- A completed UNI Financial Statement and Certification form
International18480 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 18480 USD per year during 48 months.
National18480 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 18480 USD per year during 48 months.
In-State7780 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 7780 USD per year during 48 months.
Living costs for Cedar Falls
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.