The following list is not comprehensive, but gives a good overview of what we, as a department, expect of our majors.
- The Geology program from Amherst College examine complex systems over the wide range of temporal and spatial scales encompassed by the earth sciences
- Develop scientific methods of data collection and analysis and of formulating and testing hypotheses. Conduct investigations with modern analytical methods and instruments
- Understand and apply the technical literature; use geological literature to expand understanding, to find relevant information, to participate in the growth of knowledge and to know its limits
- Apply quantitative reasoning and logic to problem solving; become proficient in spatial reasoning through, among other means, use of geologic maps and cross-sections
- Work directly with earth materials: minerals, rocks, fossils and water, and have hands-on experience with the earth in the field and laboratory
- Be exposed to the importance of interdisciplinary approaches
- Participate in collaborative problem solving
- Develop the oral, written, and graphical skills necessary for the effective presentation of scientific studies
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Climate Change: Science and Rhetoric
- Planet Earth: Introduction to Geology
- Structural Geology
- Water Science
- Sedimentology and Stratigraphy
- 48 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesEarth Sciences Geography Geology View 473 other Masters in Geography in United States
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Common Application, Coalition Application OR QuestBridge Application
- Amherst College Writing Supplement
- $65 Application Fee (non-refundable) or Fee Waiver (requested through Common Application, Coalition Application or Amherst's Quick Pass).
- School Report
- Secondary School Transcript
- Counselor Recommendation (College Counselor / Guidance Counselor)
- Two Teacher Recommendations (English, Math, Science, Social Studies or Foreign Language)
- Optional Standardized Test Results for the SAT or ACT (either self-reported or official scores).
- Early Decision Agreement (for ED applicants)
- First marking period grades from senior year (for ED applicants)
- Mid-Year School Report Form (as soon as first trimester/first semester grades are available)
- Mid-Year Transcript (as soon as first trimester/first semester grades are available)
International75800 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 75800 USD per year during 48 months.
National75800 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 75800 USD per year during 48 months.
Living costs for Amherst Center
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 6 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.