African diaspora studies is an essential aspect of the Africana Studies curriculum at the Smith College. Two courses on the African diaspora are required for the major and students may choose African diaspora studies. Interested students are also encouraged to consider the minor in African studies or the Five-College Certificate in African studies as a supplement to their major.
- Ability to study interdisciplinarily and multidisciplinarily
- Use close reading as evidence for argument
- Write a critical research paper
- Ability to study blackness/race intersectionally (that is, in regard to gender, class, nation, sexuality)
- Ability to study blackness/race in regard to the Diaspora
- Experience studying closely classic texts or figures or historical periods or movements
- Experience considering the aesthetic and theoretical principles undergirding 19th-, 20th- and 21st-century African American culture
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
Programme StructureCourses Included:
- African-American Literature 1900 to the Present
- History of Afro-American People to 1960
- Death and Dying in Black Culture
- The Harlem Renaissance
- Race and Identity in the African Diaspora
- Feminism, Race and Resistance: History of Black Women in America
- Africa: Peoples, Environment and Development Issues
- Seminar: Topics in Development Anthropology: Health in Africa--Elliot Frankin
- Globalization and Transformation in Africa
- Twentieth-Century Literatures of Africa--Katwiwa Mule,
- Studies in South African Literature and Film: Adopting Violence to the Screen--Katwiwa Mule
- Studies in South African Literature and Film: Topic: The Political Imagination in Contemporary South Africa
- 48 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesArea & Cultural Studies History View 1884 other Masters in Area & Cultural Studies in United States
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
We are not aware of any English requirements for this programme.
- Common Application or Coalition Application
- Smith Writing Supplement
- Secondary School Report, including official high school transcript
- Counselor Recommendation
- Two Teacher Evaluation Forms
- Official SAT I, ACT, TOEFL, IELTS, PTE or the Duolingo English Test/*DET*
- Early Decision Agreement (if applicable)
International53940 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 53940 USD per year during 48 months.
National53940 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 53940 USD per year during 48 months.
Living costs for Northampton
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 6 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.