The Department of Economics is one of the country's leading departments specialising in the economics of growth and development as well as in political economy and heterodox approaches to Economics. Research and teaching is pursued on a variety of topics and is unique in its depth and range of regional and specialising coverage, including topics from contemporary banking and finance, the economics of the environment, gender economics, global economic theory, as well as the economic development of a variety of regions from Japan to the Middle East.
Why study BSc Development Economics at SOAS
- 12th in UK for course satisfaction Guardian League Tables 2021 and 5th in London Complete University Guide 2021
- our unrivalled focus in the study of developing and emerging economies provides you with a more critical approach to economic theory
- our academic staff are specialists within an unparalleled range of emerging and developing economies, and a broad spectrum of theory and policy debates
- theoretical concepts and debates are expertly applied to real issues within the countries of Africa, Asia and the Middle East, as well as in the global economy and interdependencies therein
- you will be able to flexibly structure your programme using our Open Options modules to take advantage of the expertise of our other departments, including the opportunity to learn a language
- we are specialists in the delivery of languages. Your command of a language from SOAS will set you apart from graduates of other universities
Graduates leave SOAS with a solid grounding in statistical skills and an ability to think laterally, take a global perspective, and employ critical reasoning.
Recent graduates from the Development Economics programme from SOAS University of London have been hired by:
- NHS England
- Foreign and Commonwealth Office
- Department for Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy
- National Institute of Public Finance and Policy, New Delhi
- University of Bayreuth
- HM Treasury
- Department for International Development
- King’s Investment Fund
- Foreign and Commonwealth Office
- The World Bank
- British Chamber of Commerce
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Economic Principles (Macro)
- Economic Principles (Micro)
- Elementary Statistics
- Applied Economic Issues in the Global Economy
- Essay Writing Workshop - Undergraduate Economics
- Macroeconomic Analysis
- Microeconomic Analysis
- Development Economics
- Employability and Career Planning Workshop
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 36 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesEconomics Business Administration International Development View 943 other Bachelors in Economics in United Kingdom
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- A LEVELS:AAA-AAB including GCSE Maths B (grade 6 in the new structure)
- IB:37 (6/6/6)
- BTEC: DDD
- Access to HE: Minimum of 30 Level 3 Credits at Distinction
- Scottish Highers: AAAAA
- Scottish Advanced Highers: AAA
- Irish LC: 360 points from 5 Higher level subjects at grade C1 or above
- Advanced Placement: 4 5 5 (Two semesters - UCAS Group A) plus US HSGD with GPA 3.0
- Euro Bacc: 85%
- French Bacc: 15/20
- German Abitur: 1.5
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International19560 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 19560 GBP per year during 36 months.
National9250 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 9250 GBP per year during 36 months.
BA/BSc Language Year Abroad
- UK Students: £1,385
- Overseas Students: £9,780
Living costs for London
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.