This course is your first step towards professional certification as an Environmental Scientist.
The Government is putting sustainability at the heart of policy making. So your skills will be in high demand for a wide range of Master’s, PhD’s and jobs within the environmental sector including academia, business or Government positions.
- Examine the physical and social aspects of environmental issues and develop practical skills to carry out your own environmental research
- Get experience in our environmental labs using the same techniques employed by the world’s leading environmental researchers, including plasma spectrometry and electron microscopy
- Make use of teaching and research facilities at the internationally-renowned Institute of Marine Sciences
- Go on field trips to locations such as Somerset, the Isle of Wight, Malta, Cyprus and Belize
- Develop leadership and teamworking skills by working on group projects in the field and in the lab
- Take advantage of our waterside location with boats available for marine excursions and the option to learn scientific and technical diving in a PADI-certified unit
- Do a final year independent project on a topic such as health and safety, ethics, or resource management
- Have the opportunity to study abroad study abroad at institutions including Universitat Autonoma de Barcelona (Barcelona, Spain), Universite du Havre, (Le Havre, France) and Adam Mickiewicz University (Poznan, Poland).
On this course, you can do your final year project abroad. Previous students have gone to Brazil, Canada, the USA, Romania, Ukraine, Tenerife, Singapore, Hong Kong, Cyprus, Costa Rica, Zakynthos and Iceland.
After your second year, you can do an optional work placement year to get valuable longer-term work experience in the industry.
Students have completed work placements at top organisations, including:
- Leap Environment
- Mott McDonald
We’ll help you secure a work placement that fits your aspirations. You’ll get mentoring and support throughout the year.
Careers and opportunities
After the course, you could go on to study Master’s PhD’s, work in academia, business and Government in a wide range of environmental specialties such as, conservation, pollution monitoring and control, waste management, sustainability, audit and assessment, climate change and energy resources.
Roles the graduates have taken on include:
- Environmental chemist
- Environmental consultant
- Geographic information scientist
- Conservation officer
- Waste Management Manager
- Environmental Policy officer
- Climate change modeller
After you leave the University, you can get help, advice and support for up to 5 years from the Careers and Employability service as you advance in your career.
This course is accredited by the Institution of Environmental Sciences (IES).
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Science for Earth Systems
- Environmental Systems
- Quantitative Methods
- Planet Earth
- Biodiversity and Evolution
- Environmental Fieldwork and Professional Skills
- Environmental Chemistry and Monitoring
- Environmental GIS and Data Analysis
- Environmental Auditing Assessment
- Environmental Science Project
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 36 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApplication deadline not specified.
DisciplinesEnvironmental Engineering Environmental Management Environmental Sciences View 79 other Bachelors in Environmental Engineering in United Kingdom
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- 112-128 points to include a minimum of 2 A levels, or equivalent, with 40 points from a Science subject (Biology, Chemistry, Environmental Science/Studies, Geography, Geology, Mathematics or Physics).
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International16400 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 16400 GBP per year during 36 months.
EU/EEA9250 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 9250 GBP per year during 36 months.
Living costs for Portsmouth
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.