Graduates in microbiology are therefore highly sought after in these fields. Microbiology is very central to many aspects of the biological sciences, from pure research to diverse industrial, medical and environmental applications.
Microorganisms play major roles in the diseases of man, animals and plants. Microbiologists have been central to their diagnosis and in combating such diseases through the discovery of effective therapies. The Microbiology with Professional Studies programme is offered at the Queen's University Belfast .
Microbiology is an interdisciplinary subject with key links to the other Biological Sciences, Biochemistry, Chemistry, Environmental Engineering and Medicine. Graduates are qualified to take up both scientific and non-scientific careers.Many job opportunities are available in biomedical, industrial and government organisations, and in universities and colleges of higher education.These jobs cover innovative research, the development of new products, advisory and consultancy work or teaching. All are aimed at improving the health, environment and economy of countries in both the developed and developing world. In particular, companies and organisations concerned with animal and plant health, food and beverage processing, water quality, environmental management, pharmaceutical products and biotechnology require graduates in microbiology.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Experimental Biochemistry
- Cell Biology (core)
- Molecular Genetics and Bioinformatics (core)
- Microorganisms in Action (core)
- Plant Biology and Rhizosphere Interactions
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 48 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- 26 January - the 'equal consideration' deadline for this course.
DisciplinesBiology Microbiology Molecular Sciences View 851 other Bachelors in Biology in United Kingdom
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
A level requirements
- BBB including Biology and at least one from Chemistry (preferred), Geography, Mathematics or Physics + GCSE Chemistry grade B/6 or GCSE Double Award Science grades BB/6,6 + GCSE Mathematics grade C/4
- BBB including Double Award Applied Science or Double Award Life & Health Sciences + GCSE Biology grade C/4 and Chemistry grade B/6 or GCSE Double Award Science grades BB/6,6 + GCSE Mathematics grade C/4
- ABB including Biology + GCSE Chemistry grade B/6 or GCSE Double Award Science grades BB/6,6 + GCSE Mathematics grade C/4.
- H3H3H3H3H4H4/H3H3H3H3H3 including Higher Level grade H3 in Biology and at least one from Chemistry (preferred), Geography, Mathematics or Physics + if not offered at Higher Level then Ordinary Level grade O3 in Chemistry and O4 in Mathematics
- H3H3H3H3H3H3/H2H3H3H3H3 including Higher Level grade H3 in Biology + Ordinary Level grade O3 in Chemistry and O4 in Mathematics
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International21400 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 21400 GBP per year during 48 months.
National4530 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 4530 GBP per year during 48 months.
- Northern Ireland (NI) £4,530
- Republic of Ireland (ROI) £4,530
- England, Scotland or Wales (GB) £9,250
- EU Other £21,400
- International £21,400
Living costs for Belfast
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.