- Develop creative and technical abilities in character animation, visual storytelling, compositing and editing
- Learn from staff who co-directed animations for Disney, Warner Brothers and Cartoon Network, works for the BBC, and produced animation and special effects for high-profile feature films including the Lord of the Rings, Harry Potter and Chronicles of Narnia franchises
- Develop your practical skills in our animation drawing room, visual effects (VFX) facility, motion capture studio and Wacom Cintiq suite
- Practice techniques such as the performance capture process that animators used in the film, Avatar
- Use the latest software (Maya, 3D Studio Max, Photoshop, Toonboom, Flash, TV paint), production methods and CG (computer graphic) equipment
- Meet prospective employers and other industry contacts when you showcase your work at our student screening in London
You can also:
After your second year, you can do an optional work placement year to get valuable longer-term work experience in the animation industry.
Students have completed work placements at Oscar and BAFTA winning companies such as Mosaic Films and Framestore. In your placement year, you can also set up a business on your own or in a group.
We’ll help you secure a work placement that fits your aspirations. You’ll get mentoring and support throughout the year.
Career and opportunities
When you finish this Animation degree course, our careers and employability service can help you find a job that puts your skills to work in the industry.
What jobs can you do with an Animation degree?
Previous students have gone on to work as animators, concept artists, directors, compositors, creative directors, art directors, modellers, user interface (UI) designers and post-production technical directors at well-known companies such as:
- The Mill
- Sony Pictures Animation
- Kuju Games
- Centroid 3d in Pinewood Studios
- Cartoon Network on the Amazing World of Gumball
They’ve worked on high-profile feature films and cartoons including:
- Life of Pi
- Tim Burton’s Alice in Wonderland
- The Amazing World of Gumball
Other graduates have continued their studies at postgraduate level or set up successful businesses with help and support from the University.
After you graduate, you can get help, advice and support for up to 5 years from our Careers and Employability service as you advance in your career.
This Animation degree course is accredited by JAMES (Joint Audio Media Education Services), a group of industry professionals and employers.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Animation Principles
- Animation Production
- Animation Production Process
- Introduction to Visual Research for Animation
- Meaning and Representation
- Advanced Visual Research for Animation
- Production Contexts
- Sound and Visualisation
- Group Project Production
- Employment Preparation
- Major Project Animation
- Written Project
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 36 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApplication deadline not specified.
DisciplinesVisual Arts Film, Photography & Media View 672 other Masters in Film, Photography & Media in United Kingdom
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- 112-120 points to include a minimum of 2 A levels, or equivalent. Applicants will need to attend an interview with a portfolio of work.
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International15100 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 15100 GBP per year and a duration of 36 months.
EU/EEA9250 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 9250 GBP per year and a duration of 36 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Check for any work restrictionsVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.