Do you have a passion for helping people achieve their sporting potential? Do you see yourself coaching professional athletes, sports teams, school or community groups?
You'll explore contemporary, conceptual and theoretical research around the evolving nature of the modern sport coach practitioner and their role in the sports industry.
You'll learn strength and conditioning techniques, how to empower athletes to develop and retain new skills, and how to identify training needs and develop training programmes that optimise sporting performance. Sports Coaching (Top-up) (Hons) at University of Portsmouth also covers sports entrepreneurship, giving you the tools and skills to set yourself up as an independent sports coach.
Careers and opportunities
Sports coaches help others reach their best in terms of fitness, performance and ability. The aim of a sports coach is to nurture a participant's physical and psychological health and provide the best possible training conditions needed to achieve and exceed their sporting potential.
Integral to competitive sport, coaching is a growing profession responsible for shaping sporting success. Those with a solid understanding of the principles that underpin modern day sports coaching are in high demand.
When you complete the course, you'll be ready to enter a variety of commercial and non-commercial organisations such as:
- National governing bodies
- Professional sports clubs
- The Armed Forces
- Local authorities
- Health and fitness centres
- Charities and not-for-profit organisations
- Schools and community centres
Roles you could take on include:
- Community coach coordinator
- Coach educator
- Skills coach
- Strength and conditioning advisor
- PE teacher
- Sport development officer
- Sports marketing executive
- Sports agent
- Stadium manager
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Applied Skill Acquisition
- Advanced Strength and Conditioning
- Sports Entrepreneurship and Business Venturing
- Professional Development
- Project –
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesSports Management Coaching View 110 other Bachelors in Coaching in United Kingdom
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- A Foundation Degree, Higher National Diploma or equivalent level 5 qualification at Merit or above in a Sport-related subject.
- Applications from individuals with non-standard qualifications, industry professional qualifications, relevant work or life experience and who can demonstrate the ability to cope with and benefit from degree-level studies are welcome and considered on an individual basis.
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International15500 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 15500 GBP per year during 12 months.
National9250 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 9250 GBP per year during 12 months.
EU, EEA or Swiss students: A Transition Scholarship will be applied to your fees reducing them to the same amount as UK students.
Living costs for Portsmouth
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.