With a strong emphasis on people's experiences of spatial design, this Bachelor of Design in Interior Architecture degree at the University of Technology Sydney equips students with the critical skills required to interrogate and transgress the traditional boundaries of commercial interior design.
Students learn to engage with public and urban spaces alongside internal environments. Contemporary societies and city environments are changing rapidly, and this course promotes the ability to adapt to this change and shape the way people experience interior and public spaces.
Through a strong emphasis on practice and research, students develop the ability to think conceptually and understand the complex contexts in which they are designing.
Through intensive collaborative design studios, students work to develop, discuss and debate ideas as they would in industry.
With skills in analogue and digital design and fabrication, they are able to tackle real-world projects in the studios as well as through competitions with stakeholders such as the Art Gallery of NSW, Object Gallery, the City of Sydney and Zumtobel Lighting.
International connections and focus encourage recognition of UTS graduates abroad. UTS academics lead yearly international design studios in cities such as Berlin, Hong Kong, Athens, Prague and Venice.
International guest lectures and workshops, as well as a wide range of exchange opportunities, enrich students' learning and expose them to different cultures of design.
Through their study, students develop spatial intelligence and excellence in design practice. The program fosters a creative and explorative attitude towards the design process, underpinned by reflective and critical engagement.
Students generate a cohesive design approach where research and practice are consolidated in design outcomes.
The course has:
- an emphasis on creative, innovative spatial practice and international networks
- practice-oriented and research-integrated learning regarding specific projects
- engagement with innovative and creative technologies
- an emphasis on emerging design practices
- close links with creative practitioners.
Career options include commercial and residential interior design, adaptive re-use design, interactive and responsive environment design, museum and exhibition design, production design for film and television, theatre and performance design, and visual and spatial branding.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Design Studio: Foundations in Interior Architecture
- Communication and Construction: Representation
- History and Theory
- Design Studio: Inhabitations
- Communication and Construction: Generative Methods
- Design Studio: Performative Spaces
- Communication and Construction: Performance
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 36 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , International
- Apply before , International
DisciplinesArchitecture Interior Design Landscape Architecture View 51 other Masters in Architecture in Australia
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Applicants must have completed an Australian Year 12 qualification, Australian Qualifications Framework Diploma, or equivalent Australian or overseas qualification at the required level.
- UTS: Design, Architecture and Building may consider applications based on the results of the Special Tertiary Admissions Test (STAT) if students lack academic qualifications but have extensive professional experience. The STAT is conducted through the Universities Admissions Centre.
- English proficiency
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International843 AUD/creditTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 843 AUD per credit and a duration of 36 months.
- All offers made to domestic undergraduate students will be for Commonwealth Supported Places (CSP).
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Check for any work restrictionsVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.