At the Electronic Engineering with Photonics MEng course at the University of Southampton you'll train in the fundamentals of electronic engineering. This will provide a basis for your specialist photonics studies. You'll choose from a huge range of specialist modules, covering the latest advances in areas such as:
- fabrication and microscopy
- optical communications
- nanoelectronic and quantum devices
- digital coding and transmission
You’ll learn under academics from our prestigious Optoelectronics Research Centre (ORC). The ORC has an impressive record of discoveries - our researchers developed the optical components that power today’s internet.
As part of this course you can:
- use our research facilities, including a high-voltage lab and our £110m clean rooms
- develop your enterprise skills with help from our startup supporter, Future Worlds
- build your own unique electronic systems
Employability is embedded into modules from the first year onwards and right from the first lecture. The technical skills you will obtain are in high demand, as are skills of understanding and analysing problems, together with communicating the results. Electronics and Computer Science graduates have secured roles at organisations including:
- This degree is accredited by the Institution of Engineering and Technology.
- Electronic Design
- Electromagnetism for Communications
- Control and Communications
- Digital Systems and Signal Processing
- Advanced Programming
- Mathematics for Electronic and Electrical Engineering
- 48 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesPhysics Electronics & Embedded Technology Energy & Power Engineering View 575 other Bachelors in Physics in United Kingdom
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
One of the following:
- A-levels: A*AA including mathematics (minimum grade A) and an additional required subject (minimum grade A) or A*A*B including mathematics (minimum grade A*) and an additional required subject (minimum grade A*) or AAAA including mathematics and an additional required subject
- International Baccalaureate Diploma: Pass, with 38 points overall with 18 points required at Higher Level including 6 at Higher Level in Mathematics: Analysis and Approaches or 7 at Higher Level in Mathematics: Applications and Interpretation, and 6 at Higher Level in an additional required subject
- BTEC: D in the BTEC Subsidiary Diploma plus grades A*A in A-level mathematics and an additional required A-level subject or D* in the BTEC Subsidiary Diploma plus grades AA in A-level mathematics and an additional required A-level subject
International23720 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 23720 GBP per year during 48 months.
National9250 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 9250 GBP per year during 48 months.
EU and international students pay £23,720.
Living costs for Southampton
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.