Food Quality concerns the ‘fitness for purpose’ of our food in terms of appearance (eg colour and surface qualities, texture, flavour and odour) and how these can be improved.
Food Safety considers the physical, microbiological and chemical aspects of our food, which may be harmful to human health and how these can be minimised.
Nutrition concerns the nutrient supply from foods necessary to support the human body in health and during ill health throughout all life stages.
This Food Quality, Safety and Nutrition with Professional Studies degree programme at Queen's University Belfast emphasises the inter-relationship between these areas and their equal importance in food production.
Studying for a Food Quality, Safety and Nutrition with Professional Studies degree at Queen’s will assist you in developing the core skills and employment-related experiences that are valued by employers, professional organisations and academic institutions.
Although the majority of our graduates are interested in pursuing careers in the food industry or health promotion, some develop careers in a wide range of other sectors. The following is a list of the major career sectors that have attracted our graduates in recent years:
- Food industry – graduate recruitment schemes
- Food industry – new product development
- Food industry – technical areas
- Food industry – quality management
- Charities – health promotion
- Nutrition – assistant dietician in a hospital trust
- Teaching – home economics [PGCE needed]
- Research – industry research association
- Research – PhD studies
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Chemistry and Composition of Foods
- Fundamentals of Nutrition and Food Policy
- The World of Microorganisms
- Food Commodities, Processing and Hygiene
- Food Choice, Diet and Health
- Principles of Food Quality
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 60 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- 26 January - the 'equal consideration' deadline for this course.
DisciplinesNutrition & Dietetics Food Sciences View 140 other Bachelors in Nutrition & Dietetics in United Kingdom
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
A level requirements
- AAB including Biology and Chemistry + GCSE Mathematics grade C
- AAB including Biology and either Home Economics or Nutrition & Food Science + GCSE Chemistry grade C or GCSE Double Award Science grades CC + GCSE Mathematics grade C.
- AAB including Chemistry and either Home Economics or Nutrition & Food Science + GCSE Biology grade C or GCSE Double Award Science grades CC + GCSE Mathematics grade C.
- AAA including Biology or Chemistry or Double Award Applied Science or Double Award Life & Health Sciences + GCSE Biology and Chemistry grade C or GCSE Double Award Science grades CC + GCSE Mathematics grade C.
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International21400 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 21400 GBP per year during 60 months.
National4530 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 4530 GBP per year during 60 months.
- Northern Ireland (NI) £4,530
- Republic of Ireland (ROI) £4,530
- England, Scotland or Wales (GB) £9,250
- EU Other £21,400
- International £21,400
Living costs for Belfast
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.