Social Studies Education 5–12 from Bethel University combines coursework in history and social sciences with pedagogical training from the Department of Education, concluding with a student teaching experience in an area school. Students often add a second major in history or one of the social sciences. Advanced study in a second language or a minor in athletic coaching are also good fits for students preparing to teach grades 5–12. If you’d rather work with younger students, you can major in elementary education and add a licensure in social studies (5–8).
Our graduates teach in middle schools and high schools—public, private, and charter; face-to-face and online. Most work in Minnesota, but we also have alumni teaching everywhere from Montana and Colorado to Iowa and Illinois. (And some seek opportunities to teach beyond the United States.) Graduates teach subjects like American and world history, government and civics, geography, psychology, and economics.
Some also work as coaches or go on to become school principals. Others move into higher education or work to develop educational resources like textbooks and software.
Most continue their studies in graduate school, where they add new skills in fields like curriculum design, administration, or special education.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- American Civilization
- Christian Theology
- Education Field Experience
- Educational Psychology
- Middle Level Education
- 48 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , International
- Apply before , International
Rolling admissions for national students.
- 123-126 - Option 1 - CWILT
- 122-125 - Option 2 - Humanities
DisciplinesEducation Sociology View 1349 other Masters in Sociology in United States
- Complete your online application.
- Essay prompt you’ll see in the application: In 150-1,000 words each, describe: 1) your relationship with Jesus Christ, 2) why you want to attend Bethel University.
- Submit your official high school transcript.
- Submit college or university transcripts.
- Submit your Certification of Finances Form (pdf) and Supporting Documents.
- Graduation from an accredited secondary school or equivalent
- Test scores of 21 composite on the ACT or 920 on the SAT
- If English is not your primary language, minimum scores 80 iBT-TOEFL, 550 PBT-TOEFL, or 6.5 IELTS
- GPA of 2.5 (unweighted)
International77740 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 38870 USD per semester during 48 months.
National77740 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 38870 USD per semester during 48 months.
Living costs for Saint Paul
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 9 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.