It is expected that all students receiving a Bachelor of Applied Science (BAS) degree with a major in early childhood studies will develop knowledge and skills at the upper-division level related to:
- child development and learning;
- early childhood curriculum development and implementation;
- family and community relationships;
- assessment and evaluation of young children;
- professional and ethical issues in early childhood; and
- application of knowledge and skills within the context of an urban early childhood setting.
This Early Childhood Studies major at Metropolitan State University is an excellent option for students transferring from a Minnesota State institution with a diploma or an associate degree in child development or early childhood education who seek a baccalaureate degree. Minnesota State’s Transfer Pathway for early childhood education and Metropolitan State University's articulation agreements with Minnesota community and technical colleges streamline students’ completion of their degree in Early Childhood Studies. Courses are also open to non-majors.
Careers and professional opportunities
The Early Childhood Studies BAS degree gives students the flexibility to demonstrate their commitment to young children’s development through work in a variety of early childhood settings as teachers, directors, trainers, and administrators. Graduates successfully seek employment in child care centers, Head Starts, preschool programs, and child care resource and referral agencies.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Observing and Assessing Young Children: Birth Through Age Five
- Positive Behavior Guidance
- Urban Infant-Toddler Curriculum and Practicum
- Principles of Teaching and Learning in Early Childhood
- Comparative Study of Early Childhood Program Models
- Language and Communication Development in Early Childhood Education
- 48 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- Apply before
DisciplinesPsychology Early Childhood Education View 780 other Bachelors in Early Childhood Education in United States
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Proof of English proficiency
- Photocopy of passport (picture page, page with expiration date)
- Photocopy, if available, of visa page and I-94, clearly indicating the port of entry
- International home address and phone numbers - if you only have a P.O. box, more information is needed (i.e., street name, house number or section of town or rural areas)
International14340 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 478 USD per credit during 48 months.
National14340 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 478 USD per credit during 48 months.
In-State7020 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 234 USD per credit during 48 months.
Living costs for Saint Paul
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Due for update
Updated over a year ago
Check the official programme website for potential updates.