The major also has courses in the subfield of linguistics and archaeology.
Anthropology offered by Furman University is distinguished by its emphasis upon holism, cultural relativism, and the value of the perspectives of both insiders and outsiders. A holistic approach to cultures emphasizes the larger, functional integration of language, family, politics, economics, and religion within an entire culture. Through the practice of cultural relativism, anthropologists seek to avoid the inherent biases of ethnocentrism by understanding a culture from the viewpoint of its own members. Finally, anthropology maintains a balanced appreciation of insider’s and outsider’s understandings of a given culture.
Anthropology is the ideal liberal arts major in that it straddles the boundary between the sciences and humanities. It is both the most humanistic of the sciences and the most scientific of the humanities. As anthropologist Clyde Kluckhohn put it, “Anthropology provides a scientific basis for dealing with the crucial dilemma of the world today: how can peoples of different appearance, mutually unintelligible languages, and dissimilar ways of life get along peaceably together?”
A major in anthropology provides good preparation for students going into medicine and health-related careers, law, business, and non-profit and community-based organizations.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Peoples of Black Africa
- Peoples and Cultures of the World
- Modern Japanese Society through Films
- Japanese Popular Culture
- Gender in East Asia
- 48 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesAnthropology View 612 other Masters in Anthropology in United States
- Choose an application plan
- All students may complete and submit the Common Application online. There is a $50 application fee
- Submit your school report
- Submit your high school transcript - A strong college preparatory course of study is essential. At minimum, it must include four years of English, algebra I and II, geometry, three years of social studies, at least three years of natural sciences, and two years of the same foreign language
- Participate in an Optional Interview
- Submit standardized test scores (optional) - The Admission Committee believes that your potential for success cannot be determined solely by standardized test scores
- Schedule an interview if you are home-schooled (only for national students)
International50464 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 50464 USD per year and a duration of 48 months.
National50464 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 50464 USD per year and a duration of 48 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last year
Check the official programme website for potential updates.