Microbes are beneficial in process such as food production, promoting human health, biotechnology, agriculture and waste treatment. Conversely, some are responsible for causing disease in humans and animals or in causing food spoilage and crop loss in agriculture.
As one of the classical disciplines, microbiology combines fundamental biology with applications and thus provides excellent training and opportunities for students interested in different aspects of science.
The microbiology course at University College Cork is varied and broad but has a special focus on our areas of particular strength, namely, medical, food and environmental microbiology.
Many modern scientific disciplines such as genetic engineering, genomics, microbial biotechnology, immunology and molecular biology originated from classical microbiology and form an integral part of our modern microbiology degree.
The UCC BSc Microbiology degree provides excellent training for a career in the microbiology, biotechnology, food, environmental, medical, pharmaceutical and veterinary sectors.
Graduates have specialised skills in practical and theoretical microbiology that have direct relevance to industry, as well as additional skills in problem-solving, data-handling and presentation that can be applied in many different sectors.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Environmental Microbial Genomics: the role and ecology of microbes in the environment.
- Genetic Engineering and Molecular Biotechnology
- Molecular Genetics and Genomics
- Immunology: Host Response to Pathogens.
- Transmission and Epidemiology of Infectious Diseases
- Food and Industrial Microbiology
- Methods in Microbiology
- Environmental Systems Microbiology: Themes in microbe-host interactions
- Medical Microbiology
- 48 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , International
- Apply before , International
DisciplinesBiomedicine Biology View 55 other Masters in Biology in Ireland
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Leaving Certificate entry requirements: H5 in two subjects, and O6 in four other subjects in the Leaving Certificate from Irish, English, Mathematics, one Laboratory Science subject (i.e. Chemistry, Physics, Biology, Physics with Chemistry (joint) or Agricultural Science) and two other subjects recognised for entry purposes. At least a H4 must be obtained in the Laboratory Science subject or Mathematics or Applied Mathematics.
- Mature students: Applicants should apply directly to the CAO. Applicants must have studied a lab science subject at school or in a FETAC programme or must demonstrate involvement with science-related areas.
International22130 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 22130 EUR per year during 48 months.
EU/EEA4320 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 4320 EUR per year during 48 months.
Living costs for Cork
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Due for update
Updated over a year ago
Check the official programme website for potential updates.